𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 23: 𝕱𝖗𝖆𝖈𝖙𝖚𝖗𝖊𝖉 𝕭𝖔𝖓𝖉𝖘

As Nia continued her journey down the hallway, the voice calling out to her echoed through her mind. It was a familiar voice. She turned around to see Princess Serena.

Princess Serena approached Nia, placing a gentle hand on her arm. "Might I speak with you privately, Your Majesty?"

"Of course," Nia replied, leading Serena to a more secluded part of the hallway. They walked in silence for a moment, before the princess finally spoke.

"I know my brother... Kiyoshi...can be...difficult at times. But I beg you, do not judge him too harshly." Serena's voice wavered; her eyes filled with unshed tears. "He has always been very protective, and now...with the children gone..." Her voice trailed off, and she swallowed hard. "He is truly distraught."

"He seems quick to anger...and very cold." Nia said, not wanting to voice her true opinion too harshly. "I hope that he finds a way to deal with his feelings without causing further strife."

Serena sighed. "You heard when.... Daemon said that he is our parent's biological son, right?" She asked Nia. Nia nodded in reply.

"Well...he did not have an easy upbringing, I fear. As you may have guessed, Kiyoshi's birth was less than celebrated." Serena paused, looking down at her hands. "He was the product of my father the previous king's...infidelity. With my mother's own handmaiden. Needless to say, it caused quite a stir when he was born, as you can imagine."

Nia nodded solemnly. "My parents were...particularly cruel to him, treating him as though he were some sort of monster. They favored my brother, who was born afterwards. Kiyoshi was always forced to compete with him, even for their love."

"Where is his mother now? I am sure she must have tried to protect him, to give him some comfort," Nia asked softly.

"She died giving birth to Kiyoshi," Serena replied, her voice hollow. "She had been ill for some time, and I think...in the end, it was the loss of her that made him so cold. He blamed himself for her death, you see..." Her voice trailed off, and she looked away, fighting back tears.

"So... he grew up starved for love and acceptance..." Nia murmured, her voice soft with understanding. "I can only imagine how difficult that must have been." Serena gave a small nod, tears welling up in her eyes. "And now...with the children gone..." Her voice trailed off, and she wiped at her cheeks.

"He must see himself in them," Nia said gently, trying to console Serena. "Their loss is a terrible reminder of what he went through as a child. It was only natural that he would be quite angry and distraught. But I do hope he can find some peace, some way to move forward."

"So as his wife...you might be the one to finally melt his bitterness and solitude." Serena looked up at Nia, her eyes hopeful.

"I can make no promises," Nia said uncertainly, "He guards his heart too closely."

Serena grabbed her hands, their eyes locked in a moment of intense understanding. "Just try, I beg you. That is all I ask. Even the attempt would mean the world to him...and to me." She let out a shaky breath and squeezed Nia's hands gently. "I know it won't be easy, but I believe you are strong enough for this task."

"You really must love your brother very much," Nia said with a soft smile, squeezing Serena's hands in return. "And I would be honored to try. But it must be on his terms, you understand? I shall not force myself upon him." She paused, meeting Serena's eyes. "I will speak with him, try to understand his perspective. I'll be here for him, whenever he needs someone to talk to."

Serena smiled gratefully. "That is enough."

Nia pushed open the door, to her chambers open, feeling the weight of the day pressing down on her

Nia pushed open the door, to her chambers open, feeling the weight of the day pressing down on her. The servants had long since retired, leaving the palace hushed and silent. She closed the door behind her and moved to a stressed Kiyoshi who was sat on the edge of the bed.

Hesitantly, Nia crossed the room, her steps soft as she approached her husband. She sat down next to him, their shoulders nearly touching. "Kiyoshi," she began, her voice barely above a murmur.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, his voice low and rough.

"I wanted to...see if you were alright," Nia answered, her voice gentle. "I know today must have been incredibly difficult for you." She paused, taking a deep breath. "I came to... offer comfort," she whispered, her voice barely above a breath.

His features hardened. "Leave me, Nia. I need to be alone."

"Kiyoshi," Nia began, her voice soft and insistent. He slammed his fist against the mattress, making Nia flinch. "Leave me alone, Nia! I do not need your pity."

"It is not pity, Kiyoshi," she said, her voice firming. "I am your wife. It is my duty to comfort you, to be here for you, in good times and bad." She hesitated, then took a deep breath.

"Duty?" he echoed; his voice tight. "Don't speak to me of duty when you barely know me." He pushed away from her, his back stiff, his arms crossed over his chest. "I have never asked for your pity, Nia. Or your understanding."

"I may not know everything, Kiyoshi, but I know you are hurting. And I want to help." Nia's voice was soft, but firm.

He leaned away from her, his eyes filled with a mix of anger and pain. "I do not need your help, Nia. Just give me some space."

Nia's own anger flared. "Space?" she echoed, her voice rising. "I have given you space, Kiyoshi, more than enough! But I am your wife, and it is my duty to stand by you, to support you. I will not be cast aside like some useless piece of furniture." She drew in a shaky breath, struggling to keep her voice calm. "

Kiyoshi stood abruptly, "Don't you dare lecture me about marriage, Nia! You know nothing of the bond between husband and wife." His eyes blazed with anger, and he took a step away from her. "You are here to secure an alliance, nothing more!"

He walked out of the room, slamming the door behind him. Nia closed her eyes, her chest tight with a mixture of anger and pain. She fought back tears, refusing to give him the satisfaction. She knew that Kiyoshi was hurting, and she wanted to help him. But he had to let her in.

𝕳𝖊 𝖍𝖆𝖉 𝖙𝖔 𝖙𝖗𝖚𝖘𝖙 𝖍𝖊𝖗.