𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 37: 𝕬 𝕼𝖚𝖊𝖊𝖓'𝖘 𝕽𝖊𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖛𝖊

Moonlight streamed through the high windows of Nia's chamber as maids scurried around her, readying her for the day ahead. She wore a simple yet elegant gown, its soft blue hue a reflection of the sky beyond. Her afro was carefully arranged, a crown of gold and silver combs that sparkled in the light. As she sat at her vanity, brushing her hair, her thoughts drifted to Kiyoshi. She missed his presence, the strength and warmth she felt whenever he was near. Today was Nia's first official meeting with the council after Kiyoshi's departure, and the weight of responsibility rested heavily on her shoulders.

Nia entered the throne room with a steady stride, her head held high as the hush of the gathered councilors fell upon her. She took her seat upon her throne next to her husband's empty chair, feeling the weight of his absence even more in this place.

"Thank you all for coming," she began, her voice clear and steady, carrying the weight of her role. "As you know, King Kiyoshi remains in Verdantreach, aiding them in their fight against the plague. In his absence, I stand before you as your Queen, committed to ensuring the stability and well-being of Ivamis."

Murmurs of approval rippled through the room, laced with a hint of surprise. Some councilors, accustomed to Kiyoshi's forceful leadership, harbored doubts about a woman on the throne. But Nia, unfazed by their silent skepticism, continued.

"However, our focus cannot be solely inward," she said, her voice shaking slightly "The shadow of this crisis extends beyond our borders. Innocent children, both in Niameda and Ivamis, have been stolen, leaving families shattered. As Queen, I believe our first priority must be to offer comfort and protection to these suffering souls."

A ripple of unease ran through the room. Lord Edgar, known for his cautious nature, cleared his throat. "Your Majesty, while I applaud your compassion for the children of Ivamis, but prioritizing resources outside our borders..."

Nia's gaze met his, unwavering. "Lord Edgar," she countered, her voice calm but firm, "remember, some of the abducted children are our own. Moreover, our alliance with Niameda and Arcane is not one to be taken lightly. To abandon them in their time of need would be a grave mistake. The fate of these children is intertwined with our own, and I will not stand idly by while they suffer."

Her words hung heavy in the air, eliciting a range of reactions from the councilors. Some looked impressed, others doubtful, but all seemed to acknowledge the weight of her argument. Lord Edgar, visibly taken aback by Nia's unwavering determination, cleared his throat again before speaking. "Your Majesty, I understand your point. However, I fear that committing our resources to such a venture may leave us vulnerable here at home. I propose that we send a small contingent of soldiers, but no more than that."

Nia considered his words carefully, weighing the risks against the potential rewards. She knew that Kiyoshi would have made a different decision, but she also knew that she had to trust her own instincts. "Lord Edgar," she said at last, "I appreciate your caution, but I cannot in good conscience send our soldiers into harm's way without the proper support. We must send a larger force, and we must equip them with the resources they need to succeed. The lives of those children are at stake, and I will not stand idly by while they suffer."

There were murmurs of agreement from some of the other councilors, but Lord Edgar's expression remained troubled. He glanced around the room, as if seeking allies, but found none. Finally, with a sigh, he relented. "Very well, Your Majesty. If you are determined to send a larger force, I will not stand in your way. But I must stress that we must be cautious in our approach. The enemy is formidable, and we cannot afford to underestimate them."

"You are right, Lord Edgar," Nia replied with a nod. "Caution is of the utmost importance. But we are a kingdom that possesses magic, knowledge, and courage. I am confident that together, we can face this threat and emerge victorious. We will stand united, for the sake of our children and our allies."

The councilors applauded Nia's speech, their respect for her growing with each passing moment. Lord Edgar, while still maintaining a cautious demeanor, could not deny the wisdom and determination behind her words. Just as the applause settled into a comfortable silence, the doors burst open. A young guard, his face pale and breathless, rushed in, clutching a sealed letter.

"Your Majesty," he gasped, bowing low. "A message from Verdantreach, urgent and unread." Nia's heart leapt into her throat.

Nia's composure remained unbroken, though a flicker of concern crossed her features. "Speak clearly, guard. What news do you bear?"

The guard hesitated, his eyes flitting between the Queen and the councilors. "It is a message from King Thalasar himself," he stammered, extending the letter towards Nia.

A collective breath was held as Nia reached out, her fingers brushing the royal seal. What message did Thalasar bring? Was it related to the missing children?

𝕺𝖗 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖒𝖔𝖗𝖊 𝖘𝖊𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖚𝖘.