𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 26: 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖔𝖞𝖆𝖑 𝕲𝖆𝖑𝖆

Nia stood patiently as the maidens dressed her in a gown of midnight blue silk, its fabric as soft as a cloud and shimmering with tiny crystals that caught the light, making her appear almost ethereal. They laced her corset tightly, emphasizing her hourglass figure, before cinching a belt of shining gold about her waist. Her hair, normally worn loose and flowing down her back, was gathered and pinned into a tight bun atop her head, with a single strand left to cascade down her neck. A delicate golden crown was placed on her head, its points sparkling like stars in the dim light.

"Beautiful as always, Your Majesty," Qadira, murmured as she stepped back to admire her handiwork. The other maidens nodded in agreement, their eyes shining with pride and affection.

"Thank you, Qadira," Nia replied, smiling at her. As the other girls bustled about, readying themselves for the arrival of King Madoc, she could not help but feel a sense of anticipation and trepidation. Kiyoshi's reaction to her meeting with Lord Darius had left her feeling unsettled and uncertain. She tried to push the thoughts from her mind, focusing instead on the task at hand.

Soon after, a knock sounded at the door. King Kiyoshi entered, his presence commanding attention even before he spoke. Nia felt her heart race as she took in his regal bearing and handsome features. He was dressed in his finest attire, a suit of shining black with gold filigree. His cape followed behind him, the midnight blue fabric a stark contrast against the darkness of his attire. His eyes met hers, and for a brief moment, she thought she saw a glimmer of something soften his usually stern expression.

Nia awaited his reaction, expecting some word of admiration or approval. Instead, he just stared at her before he offered his arm. "It is time. King Madoc will be arriving shortly."

Suppressing her disappointment, Nia laid her hand on his arm, feeling the strength and power that emanated from him. They made their way through the palace, the opulent halls bustling with activity as servants scurried about, preparing for the arrival of King Madoc. As they approached the ballroom, the music grew louder, a delicate waltz filling the air.

They reached the door, and the herald announced their arrival. "His Majesty, King Kiyoshi and Queen Nia of Ivamis!" The ballroom erupted in a flurry of activity as everyone turned to greet them. Nia spotted Lord Darius among the crowd and made to go greet him, but Kiyoshi's grip on her waist tightened, holding her back. She shot him a warning glance, but he merely gave her a cold stare in return.

"Remain by my side tonight," he commanded, voice low. "Do not wander off." Nia bit her lip, feeling a mixture of anger and frustration rising within her. But for now, she forced a smile and nodded obediently. They descended the stairs, Nia's gown whispering against the marble as she glided gracefully towards the ballroom.

When Kiyoshi asked her to dance, Nia hesitated for only a moment before taking his outstretched hand. He led her onto the dance floor, his steps sure and confident as he guided her through the intricate steps of the waltz. As they twirled across the floor, he regarded her with new warmth. "You look beautiful tonight," he murmured, his breath tickling her ear. She could feel his grip on her waist tighten, and she knew he meant it.

Nia's cheeks flushed with pleasure as King Kiyoshi continued to praise her appearance. He seemed to have forgotten his earlier coldness, and she found herself enjoying their dance together. However, their dance was interrupted by the arrival of King Madoc.

"King Madoc," Kiyoshi said, stepping forward to greet his counterpart. "It is good to see you again." King Madoc, shorter in stature, smiled nervously as he clasped Kiyoshi's hand. "The pleasure is mine, Your Majesty," he replied, his voice shaking slightly. "And Queen Nia, it is wonderful to see you again."

Nia curtsied gracefully, her heart going out to King Madoc. She knew he was afraid of Kiyoshi, and she could see it in his eyes. "Thank you, King Madoc," she said gently.

"Queen Nia, your father and sisters will be arriving shortly," King Madoc confessed nervously, his gaze darting between Nia and Kiyoshi. "They wanted to make sure I did not forget to greet you properly." Nia felt a pang of sympathy for the smaller king. She understood the fear and uncertainty that came with dealing with someone like Kiyoshi.

"Your Majesty...perhaps we should discuss the impending issue between our kingdoms in private," Kiyoshi said, his voice like a steel trap. King Madoc's face paled, and he stammered his agreement. The two kings walked aside, leaving Nia feeling a mix of trepidation and curiosity. Nia was left to mingle among the other guests, pondering her husband's ever-shifting moods.

Nia stood alone, observing the mingling guests when Lord Darius suddenly appeared at her side. "My lady," he said, bowing his head respectfully. "You look lovely this evening." His words were accompanied by a genuine smile, and she found herself unable to resist returning it. "Thank you, Lord Darius," she replied. "It is good to see you here."

"My apologies for missing our planned meeting." Darius glanced around, making sure they were not overheard. "I trust it has not caused any complications?" He looked at her intently, his expression serious.

"The fault is mine, my lord," Nia replied regretfully. "Unfortunately, I was unable to get away as I intended." Lord Darius studied her face for a moment, as if searching for any hint of deception.

Lord Darius waved a dismissive hand. "Think nothing of it. A queen's duties must come first, of course." He paused, considering his words carefully before continuing. "Might I ask what prevented your coming?" He leaned in closer, lowering his voice. "I am not without my sources, and I have heard whispers of some...disagreement between you and the king."

Nia hesitated before admitting, "The king forbade me from going." Her voice was barely above a whisper, but Darius's eyes widened with understanding. "He grows more paranoid by the day," she continued, "I suppose it is because of the impending issues...the disappearing children and all."

"If I may be so bold, Your Majesty...could his majesty perhaps be jealous?" Lord Darius asked, his expression thoughtful.

"Jealous?" Nia repeated in surprise. "Of you? Surely not. He has shown little interest in me since our wedding. If anything, he seems to despise me."

"Ah, but that may soon change," Lord Darius said knowingly. "Shall we put it to the test?" He extended a hand.

"𝖂𝖎𝖑𝖑 𝖞𝖔𝖚 𝖍𝖔𝖓𝖔𝖗 𝖒𝖊 𝖜𝖎𝖙𝖍 𝖆 𝖉𝖆𝖓𝖈𝖊?"