𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 8: 𝕬 𝕽𝖔𝖞𝖆𝖑 𝕯𝖊𝖈𝖗𝖊𝖊

King Kiyoshi lounged on the throne of King Madoc, "I will take Duke Nari's daughter, Lady Nia, as my bride," he declared to his court. There was a murmur of surprise among the nobles, some of whom had expected a more younger match. But the king paid them no heed. "She has proven herself to be intelligent, cunning, and unafraid to speak her mind. These qualities will serve her well as my queen."

King Madoc hesitated. "Your Majesty, perhaps a younger, more...suitable bride..."

Kiyoshi's eyes flashed dangerously. "And what exactly do you mean by that?" he asked, his voice dripping with venom. "Do you imply that my tastes are in some way inferior? That my desire for a strong, intelligent partner is less than honorable?"

Madoc cowered. "N-no disrespect intended! But there are many fair maidens more of age..."

"Let me make this clear - if I do not have Lady Nia, then I shall decimate everything you hold dear, starting with your capital city. I will leave this kingdom in ruin, and your people will beg for the mercy that I once promised them." The words hung heavy in the air as King Kiyoshi rose to his feet, the threat clear. "I have given my word, and I will not be denied."

Madoc trembled. "O-of course, Your Majesty!" He summoned the guards. "Announce the betrothal of Lady Nia and King Kiyoshi at once!" The stunned guards obeyed and hurried off.

"I will call upon Duke Nari shortly. I trust there will be no issues with this union?" King Kiyoshi asked, his voice still cold. King Madoc swallowed hard. "No, of course not, Your Majesty. I will ensure that Lady Nia is prepared to leave with you at once."

Kiyoshi nodded and turned to leave, his dark presence making the nobles in the room shiver. Madoc slumped in his throne. What calamity had he brought down upon poor Nia and her family? But he was powerless against the vampire king. All he could do was hope that Lady Nia would somehow find happiness with Kiyoshi, however unlikely that seemed...

 All he could do was hope that Lady Nia would somehow find happiness with Kiyoshi, however unlikely that seemed

The news of the betrothal spread through the kingdom like wildfire, leaving everyone reeling. Some were shocked, others were angry, but most were simply resigned to their fate. Even neighboring kingdoms had heard of the alliance that would join The Kingdom of Niameda and The Kingdom of Ivamis. Though they knew not what to make of the union, they could not help but feel a sense of unease.

"No, this cannot be!" cried Ife, pacing furiously across the drawing room floor. Her sisters Kazi, Asha, and Adanna huddled together on the couch; their faces etched with worry. Father sat stiffly in his favorite armchair while Nia stood by the window, her hands clasped tightly behind her back. The news of her impending marriage to King Kiyoshi had spread like wildfire, and everyone in the kingdom seemed to have an opinion on the matter.

"Our dear Nia is meant for greater things than to be some vampire's bride!" Ife continued, her voice rising in pitch. "She is intelligent, strong-willed, and deserving of so much more!" Nia's sisters exchanged worried glances, their hearts heavy with dread.

Tanisi rushed to Nia's side, throwing her arms around her sister in a tight embrace. "You cannot marry him!" she exclaimed, tears shining in her eyes. "You are too good for that monster!"

Nia gently unwound Tanisi's arms and spoke with a soft, steady voice. "What choice do I have? His Majesty made it clear - if this union does not proceed, our kingdom will be in grave danger."

Her eyes flickered toward her father, who sighed heavily. "She speaks the truth. As much as it pains me, we cannot risk our people's safety."

"I will marry King Kiyoshi. When we spoke, he seemed to truly listen. Perhaps there is hope for something good to come out of this union," Nia said, her voice steady. Her sisters exchanged worried glances but did not argue further. "This is a marriage of politics. We shall make the best of it."

"I wish to speak with Nia alone," her father said, rising from his seat. The others in the room immediately rose as well, giving their farewells and promising to support Nia in any way they could.

As soon as they had all left, Nia turned to her father, "Are you sure you will be fine?" he asked, his face etched with worry.

"Father," Nia said gently, rising to stand before him. She took his hands in hers, feeling them tremble slightly. "I will be safe, you should be happy that I am to be married!" Her voice was soft, but there was an underlying steel to it that made him believe her words. "You have raised me to be strong and resilient, and I will not let you down."

He shook his head mournfully. "I should be...but I never wanted you or your sisters forced into loveless unions. I wanted you to marry for love, as your mother and I did." His voice broke and tears welled in his eyes. "But this...this is beyond anything we could have imagined."

"Father, do not despair. I will be alright." Nia cupped his face in her hands, wiping away his tears. "I may not have found love in this arrangement, but I will do my best to make King Kiyoshi happy, and perhaps in time...who knows what the future may hold?" Her voice was soft and reassuring, and for a brief moment, he could almost see the glimmer of hope in her eyes. "We must all do what is best for our kingdom, and sometimes that means making sacrifices."

"I wanted you girls to have what your mother and I shared," he whispered. "A true partnership, with affection and care."

"I know," Nia murmured, her thumbs rubbing soothingly at his temples. "But we must have faith this union will work out alright." She swallowed hard. "Now come, we must prepare for the king's arrival."

Nia helped her father stand, his hand in hers. Side by side, they left the room, their footsteps echoing through the halls of the estate.