𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 13: 𝕬 𝕮𝖍𝖎𝖑𝖑𝖞 𝕽𝖊𝖈𝖊𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓

The guards hastily bowed and retreated as Kiyoshi, clad in his midnight black robes, stepped forward. His pale face was expressionless as he surveyed the gathering. "My apologies for interrupting," he said, his voice cold. "I merely wished to inform you all that I will be taking my new bride to our private tent for the night. I expect no further interruptions." Taking her elbow, the King guided Nia firmly back to their tent without a word.

The vampires watched them go, their expressions a mixture of respect and curiosity. As they continued to sit around the fire, whispered conversations broke out among them. It was clear that the arrival of the human queen had already caused quite a stir. Some murmured about the potential for an alliance between their races, while others speculated about the true nature of their union and the power that their offspring might possess.

Inside their tent, Nia asked worriedly "Have I done wrong, Your Majesty? You seemed upset with me." Kiyoshi glanced at her over his shoulder as he busied himself with the bedding. "No, you have done nothing wrong."

He climbed the bed with no further word, leaving her to wonder if she'd done something wrong.

Silently she climbed into the bed, the King keeping his back turned to her, not wanting to face her. She lay on her side, her back to him, staring up at the tent ceiling.

The bed was soft and comfortable, but Nia found it difficult to sleep with her pounding heart and the constant nagging questions in her mind. She turned over onto her back, staring at the King's broad shoulders, now visible in the dim light of the tent. She wanted to talk to him, to understand why he was acting so strangely, but she did not want to push him away further.

Sunlight streamed into the tent, casting a warm glow over the bed. As Nia woke up, she searched the bed, but the king was gone. She sat up and stretched, yawning. Her muscles ached from the tension of the previous night, but also from the excitement of being in the presence of the vampires. A fire crackled in the hearth, casting flickering shadows on the walls of the tent. She rose and moved to the door, opening it a crack to let in some fresh air.

Nia made her way outside and saw the vampire guards packing, their faces unreadable as they were covered by a dome to protect them from the sunlight. The King was nowhere to be seen. She walked over to the nearest guard and said, "Good morning. Could you please tell me where the King has gone?"

The guard bowed his head in respect. "Good morning, Your Majesty," he said politely but distantly. "Your Majesty, is quite busy," he said, walking away, not wanting to get into trouble. Nia watched as he went back to his task of packing. She sighed and wondered why the sudden coldness?

Returning to the tent, she changed from her nightgown into a simple, pale blue gown that she had brought with her. It flowed about her ankles, its soft fabric a soothing contrast to the stiff, heavy fabrics of the vampires' clothes. She let her afro fall free.

Wanting to know what was going on, Nia left the tent and went outside where she saw King Kiyoshi, overseeing the preparations.

"Good morning Your Majesty," she said with a curtsy. He turned to her; his expression still cold. Ignoring her, he walked away. Dejected, she climbed into the carriage, the weight of his unexplained behavior heavy on her heart.

The carriage continued on its journey to Ivamis. The hours stretched on, and still the coldness between Nia and the King remained. She tried to engage him in conversation, but he would only respond with brief, curt remarks. She tried to be patient, hoping that time would heal their rift, but it seemed to only widen.

The carriage interior grew dim. Nia peered out into the growing darkness. Up ahead, she could just make out the outline of a kingdom. Strange, flickering lights shone from the windows - an eerie sight in the moonlit landscape.

"We have entered the border of Ivamis," King Kiyoshi said, finally addressing Nia after several hours of cold silence. His voice was distant, as if he were speaking to one of his guards. She looked up from her lap, where she had been idly playing with a strand of her hair, and saw his profile. The sun streamed in through the carriage, casting his features in a warm glow. "We will be arriving at the capital soon."

Nia nodded mutely. The flickering lights of Ivamis seemed to dance in the darkness, their eerie glow casting strange shadows around the carriage. She watched as the landscape changed, the trees growing more twisted and gnarled, their branches reaching out like claws. The air grew colder, and she wrapped her arms around herself for warmth. The carriage lurched over a particularly rough patch of road, jostling her gently.

The buildings of Ivamis came into view, looming like dark sentinels over the countryside

The buildings of Ivamis came into view, looming like dark sentinels over the countryside. The bricks used in their construction were a deep, rich color, almost black, and they glistened in the moonlight. The structures were tall and imposing, their towers reaching up into the sky. The city itself was more bustling than Nia had expected, with vampires and animals moving about the streets, their forms silhouetted by flickering candlelight. It was so different from her own kingdom, where everything was quiet and peaceful.

 It was so different from her own kingdom, where everything was quiet and peaceful

At last, the carriage rolled to a stop. King Kiyoshi stepped down and turned to offer Nia his hand. She took it, feeling the coldness of his skin against hers. He helped her down from the carriage, his grip firm but not ungentle. Before them stood the palace of Ivamis, a towering edifice of dark stone that seemed to reach up towards the heavens. Its walls were covered with intricate carvings of vines and leaves, their twisted forms somehow both beautiful and sinister. The castle was much larger than the one in her homeland; it was easily twice as large and thrice as tall. The moonlight glinted off the countless windows, casting a silvery glow over the structure.

As they walked to the gate, the guards bowed and greeted their king, their voices solemn and respectful. "Welcome back, Your Majesty. The palace awaits your presence." King Kiyoshi nodded curtly in reply, his expression unreadable. Nia followed close behind, her gaze fixed on the massive structure before her.

As they walked inside, the guards and servants eyed Nia curiously, whispering among themselves though they bowed respectfully to their king. The air within the palace was heavy with the scent of incense and polished wood, and the sound of distant music drifted through the halls. The decorations were extravagant, with rich art covering the walls and chandeliers hanging from the high, vaulted ceilings. Marble statues of ancient vampires and mythical creatures stood guard in every corner, their eyes seeming to follow her as she walked.

𝕲𝖑𝖆𝖓𝖈𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖆𝖙 𝕶𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝕶𝖎𝖞𝖔𝖘𝖍𝖎'𝖘 𝖘𝖙𝖊𝖗𝖓 𝖕𝖗𝖔𝖋𝖎𝖑𝖊, 𝖘𝖍𝖊 𝖜𝖔𝖓𝖉𝖊𝖗𝖊𝖉 𝖎𝖋 𝖘𝖍𝖊 𝖜𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖗𝖚𝖑𝖞 𝖇𝖊𝖑𝖔𝖓𝖌 𝖍𝖊𝖗𝖊...