𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 34: 𝖀𝖓𝖛𝖊𝖎𝖑𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝕿𝖗𝖚𝖙𝖍𝖘

Nia fidgeted with the wooden box, looking at Kiyoshi with determination in her eyes. "What is consummation? I have heard the word used before, but I am not quite sure what it means."

Kiyoshi's heart skipped a beat as he processed her question. "Why do you want to know that?" he asked, his voice slightly hoarse, trying to buy himself some time to form a response.

"It is... well, something people have been asking about in the kingdom lately." She paused, searching for the right words. "They want to know..." Nia trailed off, embarrassment coloring her voice. "They want to know when they can expect... a child."

The question hit Kiyoshi like a bolt of lightning. He stammered, his mind racing. "A child? Well, that is... that is a personal matter, would you not say? Something between us, and, um, the gods?" He tried to make a joke, to deflect the seriousness of the question.

Kiyoshi's throat constricted. He knew this question would come eventually, but he hadn't prepared himself for it. He opened his mouth to speak, then shut it again, unsure how to proceed. "Well, um... you see, that is a..."

Nia's eyes searched his, filled with genuine confusion. "What is it, Kiyoshi?"

"It is... something that happens between... between husband and wife," he managed, feeling more flustered with each word.

"Yes, I know that" Nia said, her tone gentle. "But what exactly happens?"

"It is... It is a private matter, something we'll discuss... later," he stammered, hoping to deflect the conversation. His cheeks burned with embarrassment, and he found it difficult to meet her gaze. "Nia," he began, taking a deep breath, "consummation..."

"Is something that happens between husband and wife" he started. Nia's eyebrows shot up. "But we are husband and wife, aren't we?" she asked, clearly confused. "So how do you know what consummation is and have you done it before?"

His jaw dropped. This was not the direction he expected the conversation to take. "Done what?"

"Consummated," she persisted, her voice calm. "With anyone?"

A wave of heat washed over him. "Nia, this isn't..."

"Just curious," Nia murmured, noticing the uncomfortable look on his face. "How else am I supposed to understand what's expected of us?"

Kiyoshi swallowed hard, caught between honesty and awkwardness. "Nia, the truth is..." He hesitated, the weight of his past threatening to spill out. He hadn't planned to burden her with his childhood betrothal, the tragic death of his intended... not yet.

"I... I haven't," he finally admitted, the words leaving him feeling vulnerable. "Centuries ago, I was betrothed to a vampire, but..." His voice trailed off, the pain of that memory resurfacing.

Nia's calm demeanor softened into concern. Her eyes softened, filled with unexpected understanding. "Oh, Kiyoshi," she murmured, reaching out to touch his hand. "You must have had a hard life."

He managed a weak smile. "It is in the past, Nia. But your question..."

"I understand," she cut him off, a hint of sadness in her voice. "Maybe you need some time to process it."

"Yes," he sighed, relief washing over him despite the unanswered question hanging in the air. "I do."

Nia nodded; her expression still thoughtful. "Just promise me you will come to me with an answer," she said softly, "whenever you are ready."

Kiyoshi looked into her eyes and felt a surge of love for her. He knew he could trust her, that she would understand and support him no matter what. He took a deep breath and gathered his courage. "Very well, my queen. I promise."

The morning moonlight streamed through the windows, casting a soft glow across the bedroom

The morning moonlight streamed through the windows, casting a soft glow across the bedroom. Kiyoshi, dressed in his armor, stood in front of a large map spread across the bed. His brows furrowed in concentration as he traced a route with his finger, his destination: the elusive King of the Arcane.

Nia, dressed in her nightgown, watched him from the doorway, her heart heavy with worry. She knew that finding the King of the Arcane would not be an easy task, and she feared for Kiyoshi's safety.

"Are you sure you have to go, Kiyoshi?" she asked, her voice laced with concern. "Could you not send someone else?"

Kiyoshi turned to her; his gaze filled with determination. "Nia, my love," he said, his voice low and reassuring, "this is something I must do. The children, the council... the truth lies with the King of the Arcane, and I will not rest until I find it." he said as he took her hand into his.

Nia knew his words were true, but her heart ached, nonetheless. "What if something happens to you?" she whispered, her voice trembling slightly.

He cupped her face, his thumbs brushing away a stray strand of hair from her forehead. "I will be careful, my love," he promised. Nia sighed, leaning into his touch, her fears momentarily assuaged.

"Remember, Kiyoshi, you are not just a king, you are my husband. Come back to me, safe and sound." She said, trying to sound strong, but her voice broke at the end.

"And bring you back a souvenir, my love," Kiyoshi teased, attempting to lighten the mood. He smiled down at her as Nia playfully swatted his arm, but her smile was genuine. "Just bring yourself back," she insisted, a small frown marring her brow. "I'll be waiting for you."

"I shall see you off then," Nia said, steeling herself. She held Kiyoshi by the arm, and they left the bedroom together. As they descended the grand staircase, the servants bowed their heads in respect as their king prepared to depart. Nia's heart skipped a beat as they reached the castle gates, the wind rustling through the leaves and carrying with it the faint sounds of the waking kingdom.

Kiyoshi mounted his horse, his guards, wearing domes, formed a protective circle around him. He turned back, his gaze meeting Nia's. She stood on the castle steps, her hand pressed to her chest. He raised his hand in a silent farewell, feeling a pang of regret at leaving her behind. But he knew she was strong, and he trusted her to rule in his absence.

With a final nod, Kiyoshi and his guards departed from the castle, their horses thundering across the drawbridge and disappearing into the distant woods.

𝕹𝖎𝖆 𝖘𝖙𝖔𝖔𝖉 𝖔𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖘𝖙𝖊𝖕𝖘, 𝖍𝖊𝖗 𝖍𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖑𝖑 𝖕𝖗𝖊𝖘𝖘𝖊𝖉 𝖙𝖔 𝖍𝖊𝖗 𝖈𝖍𝖊𝖘𝖙, 𝖜𝖆𝖙𝖈𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒 𝖌𝖔.