𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 38: 𝕽𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖑𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓𝖘 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝕽𝖊𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖛𝖊

Nia's breath hitched, a cold fear settling in her stomach as she carefully broke the seal and unfolded the parchment. The letters blurred through her tears, forming an image too painful to comprehend. Kiyoshi... ill. Infected by the same plague that he had sought to cure.

"No!" she whispered; her voice barely audible. "No... no...," she repeated, shaking her head in disbelief. Lord Edgar and the other councilors exchanged worried glances, sensing the gravity of the situation. "I must go to him!" Nia exclaimed, rising to her feet. "I must be with him; I must help him!" Her voice was filled with anguish, her eyes wild with desperation.

Her advisors, though sympathetic, surrounded her, their hands firm yet gentle. "Your Majesty," Lord Edgar, spoke, his voice laced with reason, "traveling now is too dangerous. You could succumb to the plague yourself. Verdantreach has its healers, and King Kiyoshi is a fighter."

"But he is alone!" Nia sobbed, tears streaming down her face. "He needs me!" She struggled against their grasp, but it was futile. "You do not understand!" she cried, her voice breaking. "I am his wife! His queen! It is my duty to be by his side!"

"Your Majesty, you cannot leave! The kingdom needs you!"

"His Majesty would not want you to risk yourself!"

"Your strength is our beacon, our hope!"

Tears streamed down her face. Her sobs wracked her body, threatening to consume her. But then, a warm hand touched hers, and she looked up to see Princess Serena, her sister-in-law.

"Nia," Serena whispered, her voice soft but strong. "He needs you, yes, but so does Ivamis. You are our queen, our beacon of hope. Kiyoshi would never want you to break, to crumble. He would want you to be strong, for him, for the kingdom."

Nia's sobs subsided, replaced by a shaky breath. Serena's words, though painful, were true. Kiyoshi would not want her to abandon her people in their hour of need. He would want her to fight, to be the queen he loved, the queen she was.

With a trembling hand, Nia wiped her tears. She took a deep breath, steeling herself against the pain. "You are right, Serena," she said, her voice barely audible. "I will be strong for Kiyoshi, and for Ivamis. I will not abandon them." She looked up at the councilors, their faces etched with concern and respect. "I will do my duty as your queen," she continued, her voice growing stronger.

The midday moon filtered through the stained-glass windows of Nia's chambers, casting a soft, ethereal glow over the room

The midday moon filtered through the stained-glass windows of Nia's chambers, casting a soft, ethereal glow over the room. While Kiyoshi remained in Verdantreach, battling both the plague and the mysteries of the missing children, Nia shouldered the weight of the kingdom with a grace that surprised even herself.

Today, her focus was on the families affected by the child abductions. Dressed in a simple yet elegant gown of deep crimson velvet, covered with golden embroidery that hinted at the strength and resilience of Ivamis' people. She moved with quiet purpose through the palace walls, as she made her way outside the castle.

Her touch was gentle, her words soft yet firm, offering solace to grieving parents and fostering a fragile sense of community in their shared pain.

One mother, her eyes red-rimmed and voice choked with emotion, grasped Nia's hand. "Your Majesty," she stammered, "the people...they say there's no hope" - she glanced over her shoulder, as if fearful of being overheard - "that you have given up. That you are no longer searching for the children." Her gaze returned to Nia, pleading for reassurance.

Nia's expression hardened. Though she felt the weight of the woman's grief, she would not let it break her. "The people are wrong," she said firmly. "I have not given up. I will not rest until every last child is found safe and sound. We will find them, and we will bring them home." Her voice was steady, resolute. "I swear it."

Her words, though quiet, carried a weight that resonated. In the corner, a father cradling a photo of his missing daughter whispered a soft "thank you," his eyes glistening. Nia offered a reassuring smile, but she knew it was more than just empty promises she was making. It was a vow; one she would keep no matter the cost.

As Nia walked through the castle, her path was blocked by two people - Prince Daemon, his features etched with an arrogant smirk, and Lady Elspeth, her eyes narrowed with evil.

"Queen Nia," Daemon drawled, his voice mocking. "Spreading false hope again? Surely you know by now those children are as good as dead." Nia met his gaze with a calm composure.

"Hope, Prince Daemon, is not a lie. It is what keeps us moving forward when all else seems lost. It is what gives us the strength to face the darkness and fight for what we love. And I will not apologize for offering it to those who need it most." Her words were firm and calm.

Lady Elspeth scoffed. "Hope won't bring back those children, Queen. But power will. Soon, my husband will claim his rightful place on the throne, and you will be the one bowing before him."

Nia's lips curved into a faint, almost imperceptible smile. "Perhaps, Lady Elspeth. But before you celebrate your imagined victory, consider this: when the news of the missing children first broke, who dismissed them as mere rumors? Who turned a blind eye to the suffering of their own people?"

Her gaze flickered to Daemon, and the air between them seemed to crackle with tension. "It is easy to belittle hope when one has never experienced its power. But those who stand with me now, who have seen the light in the darkness, will not be so easily swayed. And as for your husband..." - her voice trailed off, a cold glint in her eye - "let's just say that I am not the only one with secrets."

"How dare you!" Lady Elspeth snarled, her composure shattering. "You insolent wench! You will regret the day you ever set foot in this kingdom!" Before she could lunge at Nia, however, the queen's guards stepped between them, their hands on their sword hilts.

Nia continued, her voice quiet but firm, "Indeed, Prince Daemon. Now, the very people you dismissed are finding solace and support, not from empty promises of power, but from concrete action. They see a king who stands beside them, even from afar, seeking solutions. Do you truly believe they will embrace a prince who turned his back on their pain?"

Daemon's smirk faded, his eyes narrowing. "You underestimate my people's loyalty, Queen Nia. They know who is truly fit to rule them."

"Perhaps," Nia replied, her voice steady. "And you think the person who is truly fit to rule is...you? A man who would rather ignore the suffering of innocents than face the uncomfortable truth? A man who seeks power for power's sake, with no care for the lives you would destroy in the process?" Her words were like daggers, each one piercing Daemon's smug facade. "No, Prince Daemon. The people of this kingdom have seen true leadership, and they know it when they see it. And I assure you, they will not be fooled by empty promises and empty thrones.

With that, Nia turned away, leaving Daemon and Lady Elspeth staring after her, their faces twisted with anger and disbelief. She continued her rounds through the castle, stopping to speak with the soldiers, the servants, and the common folk who had gathered to offer their support.

𝕳𝖊𝖗 𝖜𝖔𝖗𝖉𝖘, 𝖜𝖍𝖎𝖑𝖊 𝖖𝖚𝖎𝖊𝖙, 𝖜𝖊𝖗𝖊 𝖋𝖎𝖑𝖑𝖊𝖉 𝖜𝖎𝖙𝖍 𝖆 𝖖𝖚𝖎𝖊𝖙 𝖉𝖊𝖙𝖊𝖗𝖒𝖎𝖓𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝖗𝖊𝖘𝖔𝖓𝖆𝖙𝖊𝖉 𝖜𝖎𝖙𝖍 𝖙𝖍𝖔𝖘𝖊 𝖜𝖍𝖔 𝖑𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖊𝖓𝖊𝖉.