𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 17: 𝕮𝖔𝖗𝖔𝖓𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝕯𝖆𝖞

As the day of her coronation drew near, Nia found herself growing increasingly nervous. She paced through the halls of the palace, her steps echoing on the marble floors. The grand ballroom, once filled with revelers and music, was now quiet and empty, its polished wood floors reflecting the soft candlelight. The throne, covered with velvet and gold, stood waiting for her, its imposing presence looming over the room.

As the maids dressed her in an elaborate gown of gold and crimson, covered with emeralds and rubies, Nia's heart raced with fear. The gown, designed specifically for her coronation, was stunning, but it felt as if it weighed a ton. She could barely breathe beneath its heavy folds. Her afro was braided and covered with delicate gold and jade beading. Nia tried to push Kiyoshi's strange behavior from her mind. Today she would be named Queen - she needed to focus.

The grand ballroom was already filling with guests as she entered, accompanied by Lord Darius and several other nobles. The murmur of conversation and clinking of glasses filled the air, competing with the music of the court orchestra. As she ascended the dais, she caught sight of King Kiyoshi standing at the back, his face impassive.

"We are gathered here today," the High Priest intoned, his voice booming through the ballroom, "to witness the coronation of our new queen." Nia's heart thundered in her chest. "Do you, Lady Nia, pledge your loyalty and allegiance to the crown, and vow to rule with wisdom and justice?"

Nia swallowed hard; her throat suddenly dry. "I do," she managed to croak, her voice barely audible over the murmuring of the crowd. She placed her shaking hand on the sword hilt protruding from the velvet cushion before her.

The High Priest smiled, his weathered face creasing into lines of wisdom. "So, it has been written, so shall it be done." He turned to the royal advisor, who stepped forward and draped the heavy golden crown over Nia's head. The weight of it nearly pulled her forward, but she steadied herself with a deep breath. As the crown settled into place, the crowd erupted into applause, the sound deafening.

The royal advisor knelt before her, presenting the orb of authority, which she accepted with a trembling hand. The scepter followed, its jewel-encrusted length feeling heavy in her grasp. With her new regalia complete, she rose to her feet, gazing out at the assembled nobles and commoners alike.

Kiyoshi was already seated on his grand throne, his expression unreadable, as Nia took her seat beside him. She tried to catch his eye, but he refused to meet her gaze. The rest of the ceremony passed in a blur of pomp and circumstance, with noble families vying for her attention and congratulating her on her ascension. Nia felt the weight of her new responsibilities pressing down on her shoulders, but she forced a smile and thanked each well-wisher.

"Long live the King and Queen!" the crowd roared, and Nia felt a surge of pride as she and Kiyoshi rose from their thrones. They descended the dais, greeting their subjects with smiles and nods. Kiyoshi's hand brushed against hers as they walked, but there was no warmth in the touch. She wondered if he was still upset about something, but she could not let it dampen her joy at finally being named Queen.

Afterward, they opened the ball with a ceremonial first dance. As Kiyoshi led her smoothly around the floor, Nia lifted her chin, refusing to show any weakness. His hands were rough against her skin, but his steps were graceful. The court orchestra played a waltz, and the other nobles and their partners joined them, spinning and twirling beneath the chandeliers.

Nia caught sight of Lord Darius watching her intently from across the ballroom. He nodded slightly in acknowledgment, and she returned the gesture. But something about his expression was unreadable.

"Do not stare at another man while dancing with your husband," Kiyoshi whispered in her ear, his voice low and cold.

Nia's heart skipped a beat as she realized she'd been caught. She quickly forced a smile and turned her gaze back to him.

"I apologize, my lord," Nia replied, her voice barely above a whisper. "I did not mean to offend you." She forced herself to focus on Kiyoshi, his harsh features and unreadable expression. As they continued to dance, she tried to ignore the sense of unease that crept over her. She had never known Kiyoshi to be so cold and distant before they were married. Something was clearly wrong, but she did not know how to approach him about it.

As their dance came to an end, Nia felt a pang of hope that perhaps Kiyoshi would confide in her what was troubling him. Instead, he walked away without a word, disappearing into the crowd. She watched him go, feeling a mixture of frustration and worry. She knew that as queen, she was expected to be strong and resilient, but she could not help but feel uneasy about the tension between them.

Lord Darius walked towards her; his expression unreadable. "My lady, would you do me the honor of dancing?" He held out his hand, his dark eyes searching hers. Nia hesitated for a moment, uncertain of what to make of his sudden approach.

"Of course, my lord," she replied, accepting his offer. As they stepped onto the dance floor, she could not help but feel the weight of her new position pressing down on her. She was Queen now, and every move she made would be scrutinized by the court. She glanced over at Kiyoshi, who was glaring at Lord Darius from across the ballroom.

"His Majesty seems rather protective of you," Lord Darius observed, his voice low and calm. "It is both admirable and somewhat disconcerting."

Nia forced a light laugh, trying to appear unaffected. "Oh, you know His Majesty. He can be quite... protective." She hoped the hint of doubt in her voice would be enough to encourage Lord Darius to share his thoughts.

He smiled slightly, his eyes never leaving hers. "I have known His Majesty for many years, and while he has always been protective of those he cares for, there is something different about the way he looks at you."

Nia felt a flush rise to her cheeks as she considered his words. Was it possible that Kiyoshi truly cared for her? She'd never thought that he liked her even for a little bit, but perhaps there was more to their relationship than she'd realized.

𝕾𝖍𝖊 𝖋𝖔𝖗𝖈𝖊𝖉 𝖍𝖊𝖗𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖋 𝖙𝖔 𝖋𝖔𝖈𝖚𝖘 𝖔𝖓 𝕷𝖔𝖗𝖉 𝕯𝖆𝖗𝖎𝖚𝖘'𝖘 𝖋𝖆𝖈𝖊, 𝖙𝖔 𝖎𝖌𝖓𝖔𝖗𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖐𝖓𝖔𝖙 𝖔𝖋 𝖚𝖓𝖊𝖆𝖘𝖊 𝖎𝖓 𝖍𝖊𝖗 𝖘𝖙𝖔𝖒𝖆𝖈𝖍.