4 - LEONARA

Do you really want to hurt me?, Nessa Barrett

Giedi Prime, 10185

Sleep eluded Leonara like a plague. The expanse of her bed, once a sanctuary, now mocked her with its vastness, a yawning chasm of solitude. The chamber, too refined, too meticulously arranged, felt like a stage set for a performance she had not rehearsed. In the embrace of Chapterhouse, the warmth of her sisters had been her solace, their presence a familiar melody in the symphony of her existence. Here, in this opulent but alien enclave, she was adrift, a solitary voyager navigating unfamiliar currents.

The notion of disturbing the Reverend Mother for such trifles as sleeplessness was swiftly dismissed. Leonara had been taught the virtue of self-reliance, even in the darkest hours of the night. So, with a resigned sigh, she abandoned the futile pursuit of slumber and resolved to explore her new domain.

Dressing swiftly, she concealed a slender blade within the folds of her garments—a precaution learned through harsh experience in the unforgiving crucible of Chapterhouse. With each step she took, the soft cadence of her footfalls echoed through the silent corridors, a whispered counterpoint to the nocturnal symphony outside.

Overhead, a canopy of glass revealed a panorama of moonlit splendor, casting spectral patterns upon the polished floors below. Through towering windows, the city sprawled in silent repose, its jagged skyline a testament to human ingenuity and ambition. Yet, beneath its surface, Leonara sensed a pulse—an undercurrent of secrets and machinations that eluded her grasp.

Why, she pondered, had she been summoned to this bastion of power so prematurely, years before her fateful union with the Na-Baron? The question gnawed at her like a persistent desert wind, stirring the sands of uncertainty within her mind. Was it mere happenstance, or a calculated maneuver in a game whose rules remained obscure?

With each circuit of the hallway, Leonara sought answers that remained stubbornly elusive. The shadows danced around her, whispering half-truths and tantalizing fragments of revelation. Yet, for all her efforts, the puzzle remained unsolved, its enigmatic allure drawing her ever deeper into its labyrinthine depths.

Leonara heart raced as she caught sight of something. In the glass reflection, she saw something standing behind her. Someone. Someone taller than her by at least a foot. Her senses were on high alert as she tried to pretend she hadn't seen him yet. Her attention was now zeroed on the place were her dagger lay nestled near her thigh. Quickly, she retrieved her dagger and whirled around, coming face to face with a man, her dagger pressed against his throat.

But what she saw took her breath away.

His face was shrouded in darkness, yet she could see the sheer beauty of him despite the shadows he hid in. He too, had a lack of hair, just like the rest of the people on this planet, but there was an air of mystery that set him apart. His aura seemed more powerful.

He can't be just a servant, she thought. From what she observed, servants wished for nothing other than to be invisible. No one would be as bold as to sneak up on a Bene Gesserit like that. Yet there he was.

As she studied him, she noticed how he, too, seemed to be studying her. His eyes, a piercing sapphire blue, held a depth she couldn't quite fathom. And that smile playing at the corners of his lips—it was both tantalizing and dangerous.

His face, though partially obscured, possessed a chiseled beauty that left her breathless. Cheekbones carved from stone framed piercing sapphire eyes that seemed to see straight through her, a smile playing at the corners of his lips. It was a face that belonged to a painting, too perfect to be real.