5

5.0

When we arrive at the Country Club, which is the place we usually golf at, I see the Cameron family standing a bit away in the parking lot waiting for us, so I walk with my family towards them.

My dad leads the way, and when we reach the others, he greets Ward right away while my mom greets Rose.

For some reason, Rafe gives me side-eye, which he often does when he sees me, so I'm used to it by now. Sarah, on the other hand, is happy when she sees me and comes over to hug me

"Hey Addie," she says while hugging me, and then she whispers, "I hate doing this," which makes me laugh when I pull out from the hug. I look at Wheezie, who stands next to Rose a bit withdrawn, and smile at her.

"Hey Wheeze, how are you?" I ask, which makes her smile back at me.

"Hey Addie, I'm good," Wheezie says before commenting on something Rafe does to annoy him. That's what I like about Wheezie. She can irritate Rafe when he's so annoyed with me.

"Let's go inside," Ward says and asks us kids to go in first while the adults follow behind us. We go to the counter to check-in before heading out to the golf course where the sun is the strongest. There's really no shade anywhere, so you feel like a baked potato out here in the sun.

We stop at the first stop where Nathan always argues about who should start, but I don't feel like listening and stand quietly by myself behind everyone else and talk to Sarah.

"We have to find Midsummer dresses together this year too, it was so much fun last year," Sarah says, smiling eagerly at me.

"Yeah, we can do that," I say. "But I don't know if I feel like going this year since I don't know who I'm going with. My parents say I have to find someone."
I almost whisper the last sentence so my parents won't notice what I just said.

"I understand. I'm going with Topper anyway. But maybe you can go with Kelce, he probably doesn't have anyone. Because I know you don't want to go with my brother," Sarah says, laughing loudly when she mentions Rafe, which makes Rafe turn towards us with a disgusted look that we respond to with a side-eye, making us laugh even more.

"It's your turn now Adeline," my dad says, and I nod. I'm extremely bad at this even though I've done this a thousand times. I never seem to get better.

I stand firmly on my two feet and hold the club as I remember I should and bend down to place the ball properly. I really hope my skirt isn't too short because then I'll be showing everything. Then I get ready and am about to shoot when I'm of course interrupted.

"Stand up straighter," Nathan says, coming up to me. "You can't stand like a damn potato, you know," he says irritably.

"Nathan, behave," I hear my mom say with an irritated voice behind us.

"Let go of me" I say when Nathan grabs me, which makes him raise his arms in the air and say something dumb to me before leaving. I take aim and am about to shoot, but I completely miss the ball. You see, I'm not good at this.

I hear laughter behind me from Sarah and my brother, but I can also see Rafe smiling, so it was probably him too. But I don't care so much because it's awkward when everyone is waiting. Even though Wheezie and Ward are busy practicing swings and Rose and my mom are talking about something completely unrelated to golf.

"Rafe, show how it's done, you're so good at this," my dad suddenly says, which makes me freeze. What is he saying? I can manage just fine without the help of that animal. Rafe looks surprised at my dad and is about to open his mouth to say something, but I interrupt him.