61

August 7

I had to rest all day yesterday when I got home because I was in so much pain. So the only thing I did was watch a movie with Sarah, and then Rafe came over, and I fell asleep in my bed with him. Today is a new day, and I'm not in as much pain anymore. I took a painkiller to hurt less; otherwise, I would probably be in much more pain.

Rafe is sitting next to me with his phone in his hand. I think he's texting someone, probably Topper or someone.

"Are you still in pain? Do you need anything?" Rafe asks when he notices me starting to move in my bed.

"I'm fine," I say, giving him a cautious smile.

He puts down his phone and gives me a kiss on my head before lying down next to me and looking at me. "I can't believe we won't be able to spend every day together soon."

"Yeah, it's actually awful when you think about it," I say.

"I'm so thankful it didn't get worse when you got hit because it could have ended so much worse than it did, so we were lucky there. Or I mean you were lucky there because I don't know how I would manage without you," says Rafe, taking my hand. The one that doesn't hurt.

"Don't say that, it scares me," I say.

"Why?" Rafe asks.

"Because I don't want to think about a day when we'll never see each other again. A day when it's goodbye forever," I whisper.

"We will spend the rest of our lives together, Adeline. We'll grow old together and do everything we've ever dreamed of. Just you and me. And then we'll get married and have kids. Have our own family and move away from here," Rafe says.

"And let our kids have the most wonderful dad anyone could imagine," I smile.

"And let our kids have the best mom," Rafe says.

"Promise me this is forever," I whisper.

"I promise. Forever," Rafe whispers.

"Even though we live in different states," I say.

"I promise. As soon as we graduate college, we'll buy a house together," Rafe says.

"I can't wait for next summer when we can be together every day again," I say.

"I can't wait either, but let's make the most of the last weeks we have here instead, and we'll think about that later. It can be our motivation when we have boring classes at school," Rafe says.

"But we can call each other every day, right?" I ask.

"Of course we can. I won't be able to stand not hearing your voice or seeing your face for so many months," Rafe says.

"Will you come home for Christmas?" I ask.

"I don't know. Maybe, I hope so at least. If it means we can see each other again. But you know I don't like celebrating Christmas anymore because..." Rafe falls silent.

"I know what happened. I'm here for you," I say, squeezing Rafe's hand harder. It was on Christmas Eve that Rafe's mom passed away. So I think it affected not only Rafe's family but also mine. My mom always finds it so hard to celebrate Christmas because of what happened. I think we've all had a hard time since then.

"We don't need to celebrate Christmas, we can just hang out. You and me alone. Maybe I can come to you in Arizona," I say.

"Maybe," Rafe says.

"I'm so scared of losing you when we're apart so much. That you'll be with lots of other girls and—"

"You don't need to worry, Adeline. You're the only girl I want on this planet, and you know that. You'll be the only girl I think about, and I'll think about you every day. I'll miss you more than anything," Rafe says.  "But you have to promise to stay away from the guys."

"Of course, I'm with you, Rafael," I say.

"Rafael is not my name," Rafe says while rolling his eyes.

"Yes, it is," I say, laughing.

"No, it's not. My name is Rafe," Rafe says.

"Rafael Cameron," I laugh.

"Rafe Cameron," Rafe says.

"Sorry. But it's actually quite cute," I say.

"But I'm not cute," Rafe says.

"Yes, you are," I say, smiling.

"I'm nothing but handsome," Rafe smiles.

"And cute."

"No, you are cute," Rafe says and smiling.

"You're too sweet right now," I say.

"Handsome."

"Okay then, you're too handsome right now," I say.

"Well, thank you, what a fantastic compliment,"
Rafe says, smiling broadly.