26

June 24

26

The thought of sitting in the car next to Rafe and our dads in the front seat on the way to the mainland to be with them as they work for a day scares me. If I had a choice, I would never have agreed to do this, but it's hard when you have a dad like him.

Rafe and I haven't said anything to each other the whole way, just made eye contact a few times but nothing more. We've both mostly sat silently, looking out the window or at our phones, while listening to our dads' conversations and calls.

However, it doesn't take long before we arrive once we're on the mainland, and they park the car outside a hotel where I assume we'll spend the night. We grab our bags and leave the car to walk into the hotel lobby.

Rafe walks right beside me. He seems tired and not  excited, but I feel the same. While our dads walk ahead very happily and excited about this.

"Hi, we've booked under the names Morgans and Cameron," my dad says to the man at the reception who writes down our last names on the screen in front of him.

"Alright, you've got rooms 204 and 205. They're on the second floor, pretty much straight ahead to the right with a very beautiful ocean view," the receptionist says.

"Perfect," Ward says, taking the keys to the hotel rooms before we start heading towards the elevator because none of us wants to climb the long stairs.

When we reach the second floor, we walk along the long corridor with red carpets and beige walls until we reach the right rooms. Ward is about to open one room before he takes one of the keys and hands it to Rafe, who looks up at his dad in surprise.

"You two will share room 205," Ward says, which surprises both me and Rafe, but our dads seem to think it's nothing strange at all. "Get ready by 6:00 p.m.," my dad says before he closes the door behind them to their hotel room, leaving me and Rafe standing alone outside.

"Well, I guess we have to share a room then," Rafe sighs as he walks towards the next door and unlocks it. The room isn't very large, but big enough for a double bed. But just one bed. A bathroom and a bit more space too.

"How cozy, we get to sleep in the same bed again," I say sarcastically and lie down on the bed because of how tired I am from the trip. Rafe rolls his eyes and closes the door behind him before sitting down on the bed next to me. 

"Half an hour until we have to go to that meeting," Rafe says as he looks at the clock on his phone before meeting my gaze.

"Those minutes are going to feel long," I say, staring up at the ceiling with large paintings of the sea.

"Time flies when you're having fun though," Rafe says and smirks at me, which makes me roll my eyes again.

"Forget it, I'm not in the mood for you to touch me," I say, crossing my arms. 

"I never said fun like that... but if that's what you're thinking about," Rafe teases now with a teasing smile, which makes me feel a bit embarrassed as I was thinking about something completely different. But deep down, what else could he have thought of that's not that? Pretty much nothing.

Rafe moves closer to me so that his legs touch mine before he places his hand on my cheek and turns my head to look at him. "We can make these 30 minutes the best," he whispers before his lips crash onto mine. I respond immediately, and Rafe deepens the kiss. The kiss is so good that we almost don't notice Ward entering the room. It's not until he clears his throat that we realize he's standing there, somewhat surprised.

"I didn't mean to interrupt you, but..." Ward clears his throat, clearly uncomfortable in the situation, "but we're thinking of leaving now." My dad comes in right behind Ward. Luckily, he didn't see. I move away from Rafe and leave the bed. I meet Ward's gaze as I walk out. He still looks surprised, as if he would never believe that we would kiss. I hear Rafe clear his throat behind me before he comes out of the room as well.