41

July 11

I arrive at the chateau a while after leaving my house. I've walked quite a distance, and it's warm outside, so I'm very tired when I arrive. They might not even want me here, but if so, they'll have to say it.

I enter the house, lightly knock on the door, and see them all sitting either on the couch or on chairs around the couch on the porch. They all look up as they see me come in.

"Am I disturbing?" I ask.

"No, you're welcome to be here," John B says and Kiara makes room for me to sit on the couch.

"We've just returned from a boat trip, so we hadn't planned on doing much more right now, if that's okay with you?" Kiara says as I sit down next to her. She smiles warmly at me.

"It's fine," I say, exhaling a breath I didn't realize I was holding.

"We're sorry about what happened with your dad, even though he deserves his punishment," JJ says.

I sigh loudly. "It's okay."

It's really not okay. I wish he got jail time.

I feel JJ's gaze on me several times even as we sit in silence. Kiara seems to notice I'm uncomfortable and starts talking about something else.

"I'm glad you stopped by, Addie," she says, smiling. "Even though your bodyguard doesn't want to."

JJ suddenly stands up, causing the rest of us to look at him. He looks at me with something special in his eyes before he starts speaking.

"Adeline, can we talk?" he asks, nodding towards the door. I look at him in surprise before hesitantly replying:

"Yeah, sure," I say, looking at the others as if they know what's happening, but none of them seem to have any special idea.

I follow JJ out of the chateau, and we come to a small dock where John B's boat is also resting. JJ sits down on the edge of the dock so that his feet touch the water. I do the same.

"So, I don't know if this is going to sound strange..." JJ begins, and I feel almost a little nervous. "But are you really in love with Rafe for real?"

I stiffen and open my mouth, looking at JJ in surprise. What does he mean by that? Am I really in love with Rafe for real?

"Well, I guess so, or why else would we be dating," I say, laughing nervously. Uncomfortable in the situation we find ourselves in.

"No, but I just mean that you two used to hate each other, and then you're suddenly head over heels in love. It doesn't quite makes sense, or I can't wrap my head around it," JJ says meeting my gaze. I immediately look away and focus my eyes on the water in front of us.

"I don't understand what you're trying to get at with this conversation," I say honestly because that's how I feel.

"I just want you to be happy, and it might sound strange because we don't know each other that well, but I really do. You shouldn't be with someone who makes you feel bad," JJ says.

"Rafe makes me feel happy. He's the only one who's been there for me during the time my dad-" I trail off, and it feels like my words are drowning in the sea in front of us both.

JJ's expression changes. "Your dad..."

"Yeah, he's been quite aggressive lately, and Rafe has been the only one who actually knew about it," I say, shrugging.

"Why haven't you told me this before?" JJ asks, surprised this time.

"Because I've been afraid that no one would care or get too worried. My dad has been using violence against me lately, and I haven't wanted to worry anyone else about me. Why am I telling you? I don't know anything anymore," I say, sighing loudly. Why am I telling someone I've barely known for a month?

"It's okay, I completely understand you. My dad is also very violent, so that's why I'm never home. But I don't like to talk about it," JJ says, and I hear sadness in his voice.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"It's okay. I've learned to live with it. I guess we at least have something in common. Daddy issues," JJ says, trying to lighten the mood by laughing a little.

"I guess..." we fall silent for a moment. Silent until I feel JJ getting closer to me, and suddenly his lips are on mine. I'm so surprised that at first, I stiffen, but when I realize he's actually kissing me, I quickly move away. I stand up and look down at JJ, who also stands up.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"You know I'm dating someone," I say, disappointed in JJ, and look around to see if anyone has seen. If Rafe is nearby for some reason, but no one else is visible except the two of us.

"I didn't think that far, I'm sorry," says JJ.

"Don't do that again, please," I say, feeling a bit uncomfortable in the situation.

"My fault,"  JJ says, who also seems uncomfortable.

"I think I'll go home now," I say, and JJ nods. I hurry away from there. Just want to get away. Don't want to think about it. I have to forget it. That didn't happen. It hasn't happened. If Rafe finds out, I'm screwed, and that's the last thing I want. The last thing I want is to argue with Rafe again. He's the person I need most right now.

A/N: I'm sorry for such a short chapter but this is just a filling chapter and the others will be longer as usual.

I'm off from school until the weekend and my birthday is tomorrow so I don't know how much time I've left to update so if you wonder where I'm at now you know!

Love y'all

//EL ❤️