64

August 10

Rafe's pov

I walk into the facility and am met with total silence. Where do I go now? There's a dark corridor ahead of me, so I take a chance and follow it until I reach what looks like a reception area. A young woman is standing there and smiles at me when I enter. But there's something in her eyes that looks almost surprised and a little worried.

"Can I help you?" the woman asks, stepping forward. She glances back several times as if she's trying to hide something. As if she's trying to hide Addie from me.

"I'm here for Hunter Morgans. I'm Rafe Cameron, Ward's son, and I've been sent here to speak with Adeline Morgans," I try to speak as clearly as possible and smile broadly to make her believe me.

"Oh, we haven't heard anything about that. Unfortunately, we don't accept visitors," the woman says.

"It's important, and Hunter has stated that if I don't get to speak with her within the next hour, he'll sue you," I say. "And that would be very unfortunate considering how nice this place is. I feel disgusted with myself as I say this.

The woman at least smiles at my comment. "What do you want to tell her? Perhaps I can pass it on to Adeline? I'm her personal assistant, you see," the woman says.

"It has to be done directly with her," I say.

The woman sighs. "I'll see what I can do. Wait here," she says before quickly disappearing down the long, dark corridor.

I stand there in silence, looking around. It looks like an orphanage or a daycare. Paintings on the walls and pictures of girls all sitting together. Some pictures are so old they're even black and white, but one picture is from 2023. Everyone looks so sad. What is this place really? And why has Hunter sent his own daughter here?

The woman comes back. But she's alone. This makes me lose hope, and I start thinking of another plan, but nothing comes to mind.

"Adeline is in room number 27. You have ten minutes before Layla comes. If she finds out you're here, it's over for you, but also for me and Adeline. So hurry, please," the woman says, handing me a set of keys. I smile at her in thanks before hurrying down the long corridor.

Number 35

34

33, 32, 31, 30

29

28

27!

I take a deep breath and look around to see if anyone named Layla is nearby before turning the key and slowly opening the door. Please let her be inside.

Adeline is sitting on the bed.

My beloved Adeline.

She looks up, and as soon as our eyes meet, she lights up, and I can't help but run to her, place my hands on her cheeks, and kiss her. I've been so worried.

"Adeline," I whisper, realizing we have little time. I look around to see if there's another way out. Maybe the window?

"Rafe," Adeline whispers back. "Please help me," tears start to stream down her cheeks, and I quickly wipe them away with my fingers. I give her another kiss on the cheek before looking her straight in the eyes.

"We have about five minutes before someone named Layla comes. We have to sneak out through the window," I say.

"My arm," Adeline whispers.

"I'll help you," I say.

"But what about my phone?" Adeline asks, and I sigh.

"Your phone is not worth as much as your life, Addie," I say, and Adeline nods.

I check the window, which is locked, and I start to panic. We'll never get out of here. But I try to stay calm for Adeline. I don't want her to get stressed too.

"We're going to need to run," I say, and she nods. "Here, take my hand." Adeline takes my hand, and we exit the room before hurrying down the corridor until we reach the reception area, which thankfully is empty. I see a box of phones behind the counter. I rush over and hear Adeline hiss at me, but I'm quick enough to grab the right phone before we both hurry out the front door without being seen. Just as the door closes behind us, I hear an older woman's voice.

"Why is Adeline's room open?"

We run as fast as we can to the place where the others are waiting, and it's not until we reach them that I start to breathe out. Adeline is still holding my hand. Her grip is tight, and she looks very stressed. But she's in safe hands now. She's with me now.

"Adeline!" Sarah and Kiara throw themselves at her, making Adeline laugh a little. It's nice to see her relax a bit more now. To feel a bit safer.

The others stand a bit away, smiling. I wonder if they really appreciate Adeline that much after all. Even though Adeline is mine.

A/N:
I'm done with all the chapters so that's why I'm spamming😭