23

June 21

23

Midsummers Pt2

"Are you seriously going to lose the game so early?" Rafe says as he looks deep into my eyes.

I hesitate a bit before responding. "Okay then, but just for the game," I say, taking his hand. He smiles before pulling me towards the dance floor, which is now crowded with people dancing with each other.

"I just want you to know that I've never done this before," I say.

"Neither have I. First time for both of us then," Rafe says, wrapping his arms around my waist. "Put your arms around my neck." I do as he says, and we start to slowly dance to the music playing in the background.

Until I found you starts playing, and I can't help but smile a little. I love this song. It's so beautiful, but I don't get many seconds to enjoy the song before I hear people calling out to us. People staring, which makes me want to let go of Rafe and run away from everyone.

"Don't think about them. Pretend it's just you and me. No one else," Rafe whispers in my ear as if he noticed I became uncomfortable, but for some reason, his words make me feel a bit calmer. I never thought I'd say this out loud... but... I feel safe with him. Right in this moment.

Oh, I used to say
I would never fall in love again until I found her
I said I would never fall unless it's you I fall into
I was lost within the darkness, but then I found her
I found you

The lyrics to the song echo in my head, and my eyes meet Rafe's again. We look into each other's eyes, and it feels like I could drown in those eyes. I never thought I'd say this either, but please, let the song never end.

Let us dance forever.

Rafe's grip on me tightens, causing me to press my nails a bit harder into his neck. Maybe I shouldn't have done that because it makes him tilt his head back before his eyes meet mine again. This time, a completely different kind of gaze. 

Rafe's words really helped. It almost feels like it's just me and Rafe and no one else. Just the two of us dancing to a beautiful love song. I never thought this would happen just a few weeks ago. That I would be standing here dancing with Rafe to a love song and almost drowning in his ocean blue eyes.

Suddenly, I notice Rafe's face getting closer to mine, his lips almost touching mine, but it makes me hesitate a bit. Not now. Not in front of everyone.

"Rafe..." I whisper.

"Yeah.."

"Not here. Not in front of all these people," I whisper.

"But I have to show them-"

"Not here, Rafe, please," I say.

The song ends. Rafe stops but still holds onto me, and he seems to hesitate a bit before his gaze meets mine again. "Come on," he says, then releases me, causing me to let go of his neck. Instead, he takes my hand, something he doesn't often do.

Rafe leads us away. Away from everyone else. Somewhere where we're alone. Just us. We're now in some sort of garage, but I quickly notice that this is no ordinary garage. It's the garage for all the golf carts.

"Are you sure we're allowed to be here?" I ask as I walk a bit behind Rafe.

"No one will come here, you can relax," Rafe says, looking back at me to meet my gaze.