18

18

We leave the shopping center and head back to the boat, but I feel like I'm not ready to go back to Obx yet because then I know I'll have to face my dad again. But I also don't want to stay alone with Rafe. Although, this day has actually been quite fun so maybe that's what I want?

"Rafe," I say as Rafe disconnects the boat and starts driving.

"Mhm," he says.

"I'm not sure if I want to go back yet. My dad-"

"Sure," he says and immediately shuts off the engine, turning towards me. I look up at him in surprise. That he listened to me so quickly. It's still impressive.

I sit back on the couch and Rafe sits down beside me, but at the other end of the couch. I see him smiling a little, and at the same time, I receive a notification from Instagram.

@rafecam liked your post.

I look up at him, who doesn't notice me, and smile. Now I even got to see it myself when he smiled at my picture, and it makes me happy because then I know he likes my posts after all.

@adelinemorgansCaption: 🤍🩵Liked by rafecam, sarahcameron and 2085 moreComments:@sarahcameron: love u😍@kelcekook: I know that you belong to Rafe but😱@lilly1516: ew^@sarahcameron: ew on yourself 😒@user519241: woah❤️

@adelinemorgans
Caption: 🤍🩵
Liked by rafecam, sarahcameron and 2085 more
Comments:
@sarahcameron: love u😍
@kelcekook: I know that you belong to Rafe but😱
@lilly1516: ew
^
@sarahcameron: ew on yourself 😒
@user519241: woah❤️

I set aside my phone and sit closer to Rafe, not really sure why I did it. It just happened. Suddenly, I feel tired and lean my head against his shoulder, hoping he won't push me away and ask me to sit farther from him. But he says nothing and sets aside his phone, remaining silent. It stays quiet for a while until my stomach loudly growls, and he looks down at me with a smirk.

"Someone's hungry," I hear him say. He gets up and heads to the boat's kitchen, and I follow him.

"You really have everything on this boat," I remark. Rafe opens the fridge and takes out a bag of spaghetti.

"What do you want?"

"Spaghetti sounds good," I say, smiling. Rafe nods and starts boiling water in a pot. I help him mix up a sauce that goes well with the pasta. I stretch to reach for a plate in the cabinet above me, but of course, I can't reach it. Rafe looks at me and I hear him chuckle before he lifts me up so I can grab the plate.

"Thanks," I say without looking at him.Rafe takes out his phone and plays some music. To my surprise, Lana Del Rey starts playing, and I look at him with a big smile.

"Do you listen to Lana?"

"Yeah, make fun of me if you want," he says.

"I love her music," I say, smiling. "What's your favorite?"

"Off to the races" Rafe says.

"You have good taste. I love 'Pretty when you cry' and Cinnamon girl,'" I say, and Rafe nods.

We continue preparing the meal in silence while I sing along to Lana's songs from time to time. Rafe doesn't sing anything, but it would actually surprise me if he did compared to if he didn't. Then we set the table on the deck. It's a beautiful evening, and the sun is setting, painting the sky pink. I can't help but take a picture of the sunset before Rafe comes out and stands beside me.

"Isn't it beautiful?" I ask, looking up into his beautiful ocean blue eyes.

"Yeah," he says, meeting my gaze. Video games starts playing in the background, and I start smiling. Rafe's eyes don't leave mine, and I notice him leaning in, our lips brushing against each other. My arms find their way around his neck immediately, and Rafe puts his hands on my cheeks. The kiss continues for what feels like eternity before we pull away to catch our breath. There's a tense silence before Rafe turns to the table behind us.

"The food will get cold if we don't eat soon."

"Yeah, you're right," I say and sit on the chair across from Rafe.

The food tastes really good, and there's silence at first before Rafe starts a conversation I never thought he would.

"So, tell me more about yourself now that we're pretending to date," Rafe says.

"What do you want to know?" I ask.

"Just something," Rafe says.

"I'm actually pretty good at surfing," I say.

"You? I didn't see that one coming" Rafe says.

"Yeah, I know, but with all the different vacations we had when I was little, I often got the chance to practice surfing and stuff," I say.

"Tell me something about you."

"I can surf too," he says and laughs a little. "Even though it's a pouge thing. But I learned when I was little. My mom taught me..." Rafe's voice trails off when he mentions his mom.

"I'm sorry," I say softly.

"It's okay," Rafe says.

"So, which college were you planning to attend this fall?" I ask to change the subject.

"I don't know. I've applied to a few different ones, but my dad prefers me to go to some college in Chicago that I can't remember the name of. How about you?" Rafe says.

"It's leaning towards California," I say. "But it could just as well be somewhere like Miami since my dad keeps changing his mind about which one he prefers me to attend because ultimately, he's the one who decides," I explain.

"What do you want to do in the future?" Rafe asks.

"I want to write books if money didn't matter, but I also want to travel through Europe and help turtles in Hawaii. How about you?" I say.

"I don't really know. My dad says I should work for him in Obx, so it'll probably be something like that," Rafe says, shrugging.

"But do you want that?" I ask.

"I don't really know," Rafe says.

"You should get to do what you want. My dad wants me to become a lawyer or doctor on the mainland, but I'm going to refuse," I say. Rafe nods.

After dinner, we decide to sleep. The bed is big enough for both of us, so we both sleep in it with a good meter's distance between us. At first, we considered one of us sleeping on the couch. But it ended up like this.