First Words

Down a hidden path Percy found one day during the summer. Under their house in a small cave under the cliff they were married on. Was a small and old dock, with a single boat big enough for two people. Percy found this boat, and told Annabeth about it. When she had gotten pregnant, he made a plan and didn't tell Annabeth about it. The plan was for Annabeth and Sally to leave, and survive. While he stayed and died. Percy had no intention on making it out alive. After all, the gods wanted him alone.

"Careful Beth," Percy said, helping Annabeth walk on the slippery and wet path while she held Sally, bundled up in her favorite blue blanket that Will worked for a whole summer to make for her. She wouldn't sleep without her blankie.

They got to the dock, and Annabeth froze staring at the boat. Percy, feeling his heart shatter about his only daughter growing up like him, almost killed him on the spot.

"I can't do it..." Annabeth said, before turning around. Her eyes leaking tears already. Sally was nestled to her chest, sleeping soundly.

"We...have to," Percy said. His mouth fought every word trying not to say them. "Go with her. Protect her."

Annabeth looked at him, sadness and anger fighting for control. She shook her head slowly. "No."

"Annabeth, please," Percy's voice broke, he pleaded for her to live. "You have to go with our daughter! I can't let her live without a mother and a father. Please...my love..."

Sally woke from her father's pleading voice. At first she was startled. But when she say her father, she glowed. A bright toothless smile, and little chubby hands reaching for her father's black beard. But his face looked weird. It was wet, his eyes were wide, and his voice was shaking. Mom and Dad were talking, but they weren't happy. They were sad... the same as her when she had lost her blankie until Uncle Will brought her a new one.

Then Dad walked away, over to the waters edge, and dipped his hand into the rough black water. Something happened that confused Sally even more. Another Daddy walked out of the water. He looked just like Dad, but had graying black hair. He too looked sad.

Then Mom picked Sally up, and brought her to her face like she always did. She was sad too, but she had a smile. "Mommy and Daddy will always love you Sally," Mommy said. She kissed Sally strongly, Sally giggled because Mommy was acting funny. Mommy then passed Sally to Daddy.

"Hey bug," Daddy said. His face was still wet, the water ran into his thick black beard, flowing from his weathered eyes. "Mommy and I will love you forever and ever. You probably won't remember us after a while. But, Grandpa will make sure you know we loved you more than anything. This is Grandpa." Daddy moved Sally so she could see the new person. He looked the exact same as Daddy, but older. "He's going to take you to live with him. So you can have a great life. I hope you will remember us..." Daddy kissed Sally, then held her tighter than he ever had. He held her little head with black hair like his sprouting from her scalp. She could hear the thumping of his heart. Beating nonstop, very, very fast.

Then Daddy passed Sally to the new man named Grandpa. He was warm and soft, and smelled like salt water. Sally liked this new man. "Hello little sea sprout," the man said with a warm smile. His face wasn't wet, but his eyes looked really watery. The man turned to the dock, and sat on the boat with Sally. Percy untied a brown rope from the dock and tossed it onto the boat. The water under them started to pull them out of the cave, leaving Daddy and Mommy alone without Sally.

"Mama...Dada!" Sally yelled, her first words. Tears started flow from the old mans face, Mommy on the shore tucked her face into Daddy's arm and he held her tightly. Then the water rose over the sides of the boat, pulling them down beneath the dark waters. Sally's tear obscured view of Mommy and Daddy on the shore washing away with the ocean consuming her and the old man.