Chapter 69

Danica POV

I run into the change room, still in my regular clothes but pause when I notice no one is in there so no need to look like I'm urgently trying to get ready. I trudge my way to my locker and begin getting ready.

"You okay?" I jump, clutching my chest as I stare at Jackson. "Sorry,"

"I'm fine. I was just up all night with a very sick nearly ten year old daughter. Her birthday is in two weeks and she's scared she's gonna miss it cause she's sick,"

"Aww cute," I send him a glare. "I mean horrible,"

"Better," I lift my shirt over my head and slip off my pants as well, most people having cleared out. I put on my scrubs and walk out with Jackson. "No O.R. for me today,"

"Really?"

"Only if I get a ton of caffeine and it works. Can't risk ruining my perfect record," I smile up at him as we get to the coffee cart. He walks off as I pour my coffee, taking  sip and humming with satisfaction. I walk in search of Mark but freeze at the sound of a familiar laugh. I peek into the room to see..."Mrs.O'Malley?"

"Oh Dani," She bursts into tears and gestures for me to come closer. I place my coffee down and engulf her in a hug. My eyes burn as I tighten my grip around her. I pull away quickly, looking at her face for worry.

"Are you okay? Why are you here?" The questions spew out faster than I can stop them.

"It's my gallbladder is all, sweet girl," She rests her hand on the side of my face, looking at me with the eyes of a mother. "You were the daughter I'd always wanted ya know? Besides Callie of course,"

"You were the mom I'd always wanted," A tears falls from my eye and before I can stop myself, I begin to cry. "I'm sorry I rarely called and I'm sorry I disappeared. You lost your son and his wife just selfishly—"

"You lost your husband and son as well Dani," I cry harder from her words, her hand held tightly in mine. "There is never a day that goes by that I don't thank God that you and Georgie were together. That you gave him a son, a son who is with him right now," I look at her with the face of a young girl, heartbreak etched into my skin. "You loved him in a way I'd never seen. Even when he didn't do right by you, you still truly loved him. Thank you for showing my son what true love is before he died,"

"Thank you for raising a son that loved me in a way I'd never experienced before," She wipes a tear off my cheek and pulls me back into a hug, kissing the side of my head. A throat clears and we pull away, me wiping my face a bit more at the sight of Bailey and Meredith. "I'll get going but I will definitely come see you,"

"Bye sweet girl,"

"Bye!" I grab my coffee and walk out, still wiping my eyes. I continue to walk around, trying to find Mark, continuing to be unsuccessful, that is until I hear his voice.

"Imagine my surprise when I check out the schedule, expecting to see Jackson Avery's name on it, only to find he's been replaced with Alex Karev,"

"What?" Jackson jumps as he turns and sees me. "We've been preparing this nerve graft for weeks, Jackson,"

"I know,"

"It's supposed to be the three of us," Mark gestured to the three of us. "The plastics posse. Kicking surgical ass and taking names,"

"Eww no," I grimace at the name 'plastics posse'. I sip my coffee before leaning against the door frame.

"Ah, just something I'm trying out,"

"Look, guys, the thing is...I gotta get this paper in by seven o'clock tonight or I'm screwed. It's just bad timing," Jackson shrugs, fiddling with the pencil in hand.