Chapter 32

Danica's POV

I laugh lightly as Lexie and Mark separate once the elevator doors open. "You two are gonna get caught," I laugh.

"No we aren't," He says simply. My eyes widen as I see Derek walking towards us holding an engagement ring. "Whoa! What is that?"

"What you think it is," Derek answers.

"it's dangerous. People who carry guns are more likely to fire it," Mark remarks.

"Oh lord," I mutter as I roll my eyes.

"Oh, I'm ready to fire it. That's not the problem. She's the problem. She spooks easy. I have to fire at the right time,"

"You two are weird. Why am I your friend?" I ask. They both laugh. I shake my head before walking off. After changing, I walk out to find my interns waiting for me. "Good, you all are ready," I chuckle. Johnny hands me the file for my first patient. "What do we have here?" I mumble to myself as I open the file. Valerie Smith. Where have I seen that name before? I walk down to the patients room, my interns trailing behind me.

"Valerie Smith, I am your doctor Da-" My sentence cuts short as I look up to see the patient. "Mom?" I whisper, almost inaudibly.

"Well, well, well, look who it is," She chuckles viciously, her hands folding in her lap as she glares at me. "Miss Danica is all grown up," I just stand there not knowing what to say. "What, no snarky remark? No witty comeback?" She yells, causing me to jump slightly. Despite wanting to, I can't say anything. It's like my mouth won't let me. "I have heard so much about your horrible, pathetic, little life. Pregnant during med school, fiancee cheats, baby goes up for adoption, horrible relationship, the list goes on and on. Just like I thought, you ended up being a screw up,"

"How do you-- how do you even know about that?"

"You know, just a little birdy," She chuckles darkly. A knock on the door causes me to turn my attention away from my horrible mother.

"Sorry to interrupt. Doctor Millers, there is a Cameron Millers in the waiting room. He'd like to see Miss Smith. Should I--"

"I'll handle it," I hand the file to Johnny before walking out of the room. Anger bubbles through my veins as I walk downstairs towards the waiting room. My rage rises as I see my brother.

"Dani good t--" I cut off his snarky remark with a right hook to the face. He stumbles back clutching his jaw. Nurses, doctors and other people watch the scene play out. "What the fuck Dani?"

"What makes you think you have the right to tell our mother about my life!?" I yell.

"She deserved to know what a screw up her daughter ended up being," He smirks, licking the blood from his lips. Without a second of hesitation, I punch him again, harder this time.

"You had no right! She lost the right to know about my life when she walked out of it!" I throw another punch and this time he stumbles back so much he falls. Blinded by rage, I climb on top of him and just keep throwing punch after punch, not stopping. The world around me disappears. I can't hear anything but my blood rushing and heart pumping.

"Dani!" Derek's voice brings me back to reality and yet I don't stop punching. I feel two pairs of hands grab me and drag me off Cameron. The other being Mark.

"Wow," He groans. "You are one psycho bitch!" He holds his nose. I pray it's broken. A couple of doctors help him up as Derek and Mark hold me back.

"I'm the psycho!?" I fight against Derek and Mark but they don't budge. "You're the whiny little bitch you hasn't stopped complaining that his mommy left him. Well guess what! I've hated myself ever since I was five years old because my mother abandoned me! And you rubbed it in my face every single chance you got!" Tears roll down my cheeks as my chest tightens. My knuckles sting and eyes burn.