7 - Dr. Sinclair

It had been a while since I'd started working at Scientality. It couldn't say I completely hated the place, but it had a totally different vibe from my last workplace. For one, everyone was so serious about everything. I got that we should take our jobs seriously, but no one joked around. Even if it was for a few seconds. I couldn't count how many times I'd gotten judgemental looks, because I cracked a joke.

And they also took the shortest lunch breaks. I'd assumed Dr. Wellington had been kidding when he said work was their life. It felt like as soon as I was stepping out for a lunch break, everyone was returning from theirs. To not feel like I was slacking off, I had no choice but to stick it out until it was time to go home. I knew there was always going to be some sort of sacrifice, if I wanted to catch up to my colleagues and finally get to counsel offenders again.

I solved my lunch problem by scheduling orders. These days, that was a blessing to a lot of people. There was no need to wait in a line that would cut down my free time. And I didn't mind eating alone. It had become the norm after Terrance and I broke up. Even with Parker around, I found it relaxing to just eat by myself.

"Dr. Sinclair, would you mind coming with me?"

I also learned never to ask questions. To do as I was told without hesitation. No one bothered me, and I didn't bother them. If I needed anything, I got into the habit of sending an email before publicly making a fool of myself.

"I've never formally introduced myself. Been a bit busy with work these days."

The doctor's voice was surprisingly soft--and I could hear an accent--even though I knew it could command the attention of a room full of people. He held out his hand, waiting for me to shake it. I hesitated for a moment before taking it. His grip was firm, yet not too uncomfortable.

"I'm Dr. Isaias Acosta. Chief Psychologist at Scientality. I'm here at this building for the rest of the month, then I'm off to headquarters in July."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, doctor."

Dr. Acosta smiled, taking a step back. "The pleasure's all mine. I've heard a lot about you, you know. About your work with offenders. I'm looking forward to working with you."

I glanced around, unsure what to say. It wasn't every day that someone complimented my work.

"By the end of the month, you should be leading counseling sessions on your own. I have faith in you. Most of my junior employees don't have much experience. I'd let you lead your first session alone, but we follow the rules here."

"Even when it comes to strict lunch breaks," I muttered.

"What was that?"

"Nothing, sir."

"While you're here, I'll accompany you to most of your sessions. When I'm not there, you'll be with another junior psychologist. I have to warn you, though. The offenders we try to understand are repeat offenders. Most of them have been involved in violent crimes these days."

"I've worked with a lot of repeat offenders."

"These offenders are different, Dr. Sinclair. Sometimes it isn't enough to use science to get into their heads. I try my hardest to keep female psychologists away from them, but some of them have the means necessary to make hardened criminals open up to them."

"Are you saying I'm one of them?"

"I've seen your track record. You know what you're doing. I'd rather see for myself than to throw you to the wolves," he said. "As psychologists, we do more than researching possibilities. We act on them. We try to change people who say they can't be changed. You won't have a problem with that, I hope."