39 - Ground Rules

"Alright..." Ezra stared at me from across the table. "I've thought about this long and hard. Honestly...I still kind of hate you for what you did to me, but I believe in second chances. Whether you obey the rules or not is your choice. Just know that the punishment will fit the crime. If you dare to disobey me too many times...you'll join the rest of them in the basement. Do I make myself clear?"

I swallowed hard, my throat feeling tight. "Yes."

Ezra smiled, and it was chilling. "Good girl. Now...rule number one. You are my property. My plaything. You're welcome to sleep with anyone in the house, but I probably won't touch you after that. I'm not a jealous man, but I don't want anyone else's cum in you. Understand?"

I tried not to laugh, biting my lip. "Yeah. I understand."

Ezra nodded, his expression unreadable. "Very well. Rule number two. You are to obey any command I give you, without question. If I tell you to strip, you strip. If I tell you to kneel, you kneel. You are to be as obedient as a dog. Do you understand?"

I paused for a moment, regretting playing along. "Yup..."

He leaned forward, his eyes boring into mine. "Rule number three. No going down to the basement without my permission. Without me. I don't care if you feel that there's something wrong. Or whatever excuse you're probably thinking of making up. Any locked doors means you do not enter. Do you understand?"

"Mhm." I smiled, trying to keep my expression neutral. "I understand."

Ezra studied me for a moment longer before leaning back in his chair. "Good. Now, since it's your real first day, I think I'll ease you in. You'll start with some light housework. Nothing too strenuous. Just clean the kitchen and the master bedroom. In here. Your room. You can do whatever you want after that."

"Like what? Read?"

"Yeah. You can read. There's a bookshelf in the study." He pointed to a door off to the side. "But don't touch anything else in there. It's just for me."

Right. Just for him.

I nodded, forcing a smile. "Got it." I stood up, pushing the chair under the table. "Where do you want me to start?"

Ezra waved his hand dismissively. "Oh, just do whatever you think needs to be done first. I'm going to be out for most of the day. Jovani will be watching you until I get back, though. If you need anything, just ask him." He stood up and stretched, yawning loudly. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some work to do. Enjoy your day." And with that, he turned on his heel and left the room, leaving me alone with Jovani.

I glanced at Jovani, who was lounging in a chair, watching me. He was even more intimidating than Ezra. His muscles bulged under his tight black shirt, and his dark eyes seemed to see right through me. "I don't care what you do, sweetness. No one listens to that entitled bastard."

I nodded, trying to ignore the way my stomach knotted at the thought of being so close to him. "I guess I should get started, then."

Good to know.

"Just come get me when you start cleaning the study."

I started by gathering all the dirty dishes and silverware from the kitchen, stacking them neatly on the counter. The kitchen was surprisingly well-maintained, considering the number of people who lived here. I tackled the dining room, wiping away any crumbs or spills that had accumulated over breakfast. The polished wood gleamed in the morning light, and for a brief moment, I allowed myself to imagine what it would be like to live in a normal household.

The master bedroom was cleaner than I thought it would be. After changing the sheets and vacuuming the carpet, I moved on to the bathroom. I wasn't surprised to see that it looked like no one ever used it. I straightened what I could in my room, heading down to the study with no intention of telling Jovani that I was about to clean it.