18 - He's Watching

"Irene."

My eyes snapped open. I didn't move, hoping I was just hearing things.

"Irene...you should have stayed home today."

I felt a chill roll down my spine as I sat up and looked around. I was alone. Dr. Wellington had taken most of the team out to dinner. Nayeli was the last to join them. I was surprised she hadn't asked me to come with her. I wasn't planning to go anyway.

"Who's there?" I asked stupidly. Who the fuck does that?

"Is that what you should be worried about? Even if you find out who I am, your life is in my hands."

"Not if I get to you first."

"Oh, the confidence!" The man chuckled. "I love it. You and I could be partners. If revenge is on your mind in a life or death situation, we'd make a great team."

"I'd never be friends with a murderer."

"Really? Seems to me you don't know the people in your life."

"I know them more than you think."

"Sure you do. It's not easy knowing you don't know who they really are."

My blood ran cold. The man was right. I had no idea who I could really trust. I had always been so focused on my work, on my mission, that I had never taken the time to build real relationships. I just blindly trusted that everyone had my best interest in mind.

I began gathering my things as fast as I could. I wasn't about to subject myself to talking to a fucking demon in the dark. If he wanted to kill me, then I was going to give him a hard time. No way was I giving in to him so easily. I loved my life.

"Uh, uh, uh." He laughed again. "Not so fast. You're not going anywhere. Not until we finish this little chat." His voice grew closer. I could feel the heat radiating off of him. "Don't make this any harder than it has to be."

My heart hammered in my chest as I froze. He was surely going to kill me, if I saw his face. But I couldn't just sit here and let him have his way. I had to at least try to fight back.

"Where do you think you're going, Irene?" he asked.

"H-home," I stammered.

"Oh, I don't think so," he chuckled darkly. "I have plans for you. But if you insist..." His voice trailed off as I heard him pick something up. He grabbed a lock of my hair and yanked me toward him. I let out a yelp of pain as my scalp stung. "I'm going to keep this as a memento. Whenever you think you know who I am, just know that I can take you out at any time."

"Is that a threat?"

"No..." He leaned closer, his breath hot against my ear. "It's a promise."

"No!" I elbowed the man, causing him to curse. I tried to run, but he grabbed me and threw me clear across the office. This wasn't how I was going to die.

"Watch your back, Irene. Watch your friends. Things are about to get serious, doctor. Isn't that right, Klara."

I froze, my heart racing as I recognized her voice.

"Irene!"

My eyes snapped open and I looked wildly around the room. Everything felt so real, so terrifying. What happened to Klara was my fault. I wished I could undo my actions. If only I hadn't decided to drink.

"Irene!" Ezra was leaning over me, his face full of concern. "What happened? Who were you talking to?" He looked around the room. "You scared the shit out of me. I could have fucking hurt you, woman."