28 - Boo!

I looked through the folders on my desk, trying to find the file I'd been given by Dr. Acosta. There was so much I was missing, but I didn't know what it was. It was like trying to find a needle in a haystack, only the haystack was the entire world. And the needle was...I didn't know. Something important, something that could change everything.

The sun began to set outside my window, casting a warm, orange glow across the city. I'd been at it for hours, sifting through file after file, but still, nothing seemed to click. It was as if someone had taken a piece of the puzzle and threw it away. I rubbed my tired eyes, wishing for just a moment of clarity, when a small, familiar symbol caught my attention.

"Babe, what are doing home? I thought you were working late." Axel walked into my office. "Wait...didn't you say you had lunch with your boss today? How'd it go?"

"Eh...we talked more than we ate. I got tacos later." I shrugged, not really interested in going into detail.

"So, what's up? Why're you home so early?"

My eyes returned to the symbol in the file. "Oh, you know, just working on something that could potentially save hundreds of women. No big deal."

Axel laughed, sitting down on the edge of the desk. "Oh, come on, you're exaggerating. What is it this time?" He leaned in, resting his chin on his hand, his eyes full of curiosity. "Did Dr. Acosta confess his feelings?"

I glanced up at him, my heart skipping a beat. "What are you talking about? He doesn't...like me."

Axel raised an eyebrow. "Oh, come on. You took him to your favorite late night restaurant. He invited you out to lunch. It's obvious." He paused, studying my expression. "Are you serious? You didn't realize he was into you?"

I felt a blush creeping up my neck. "I...I guess I never really thought about it."

He grinned. "I get it, babe. He's your boss. You and I just confessed how much we love each other. It's okay to like him. Just not Ezra."

I chuckled, feeling a little embarrassed. "He's my boss," I said. "I can't like him, even if I wanted to. Maybe he is a little too nice sometimes..."

"Oh, come on, Irene. You know he's not married or anything. You could totally make a move." Axel nudged me playfully. "I won't get mad. I approve."

I laughed, shaking my head. "Well, I guess you never know. But for now, I've got more important things to focus on." I pointed to the symbol in the file. "Unless you're offering to distract me, that is?"

Axel leaned in, his expression turning serious. "I could never distract you from your work, hermosa. You know that. But if you really want me to...then I can't say no. I won't say no."

I glanced back at the symbol, then up at him. "Are you sure? I don't want you to feel like you have to."

He took my hand in his, his touch sending a shiver down my spine. "I will do whatever you want me to do to you. Preferably fucking you, but I'll respect your wishes."

I felt a rush of heat spread through my body at his words. It was true, I hadn't realized how much I missed him until I returned to work. Since his bosses treated him like a dog, I was constantly forced to sleep alone, wondering if I'd made the right choice. And now...I really did want him to distract me, but I had work to do. If I allowed him to pull me away, I'd never get anything done.

I pulled my hand from his grip, trying to focus on the file again. "No, no. I appreciate it, but I really need to get this done. It's important."

Axel nodded, understanding. "Okay, hermosa. You're right. We'll just...do this later, when you're done. I won't go anywhere." He looked away, his gaze fixed on the wall behind me. "Take your time."