46 - Statement

At this point, I didn't know what to do. If anyone else came to visit me, looking for information, there was no way I'd be able to stay quiet. Ezra had to be caught. I couldn't just pretend I was afraid no one would believe me. Axel was already in danger. If he were to find out more than he bargained for, then it was going to be my fault he died. That wasn't guilt I wanted to live with.

After too many tests, and pretending I was remembering things, the hospital finally let me return home. I was ready to get the police interview over with, so I asked Axel to drop me off at the police station. I tried not to go over what I would say. All my years of working as a criminal psychologist prepared me for anything dealing with police presence. I knew how to lie without being caught. I knew how to make it look like a lie was the truth.

Once I was in the interrogation room alone, I went over what things I would decline to touch. All food was off-limits. Drinking from a cup I didn't plan to take was a big no-no. Spitting was strictly forbidden. Touching the table was out of the plan. Leaving anything type of evidence behind was out of the question. I was prepared for anything the police could throw at me.

The door opened, and Captain West walked in with a detective I hadn't seen before. He motioned for me to sit down at the table. I nodded, taking my seat slowly. Captain West sat across from me, and the other detective took a seat next to him. They exchanged glances, and the detective pulled out a small recorder.

I assumed Valery and Ezra were watching us on the other side of the glass, but I kept my expression neutral. Captain West began by asking me to tell him what happened the morning I decided to go clubbing. That question was easy. I remembered it, because it wasn't something I'd ever done before. It was probably the first time I'd gone out with Axel and really enjoyed his company.

The detective next to him took notes as I spoke, occasionally glancing up at me. Captain West leaned forward, his elbows on the table, and I could tell he was studying me. He seemed to be looking for any signs of hesitation or dishonesty. I gave him nothing. He'd never find anything.

"And when you decided to go clubbing...what made you change your mind?" he asked.

I hesitated for a moment, trying to think of the best answer. "I...I don't really remember," I said, my voice wavering slightly. "It was just one of those impulsive decisions, I guess." I shrugged, trying to make it sound casual. "Maybe I was just feeling restless. My boss told me I wouldn't return to work until I was better. I had nothing else planned."

The detective scribbled something down on his notepad, and Captain West leaned back in his chair. He studied me for a long moment before speaking. "Do you remember anything before you got drunk? Faces? Voices?"

"I mean, I was in a club. There were voices and faces everywhere. I just danced until I saw Dr. Acosta. We talked for a while before we started drinking. I thought it was harmless, because we were outside of work. Who would know we'd seen each other that night?"

Captain West nodded slowly, as if considering my words. "Can you tell us more about Dr. Acosta? How did you two know each other?"

"You know we work together. More closely since the kidnappings increased. I feel like...I could trust him with my life." I cleared my throat.

He nodded slowly, his expression unreadable. "So, you trust him with your life...but not your memory?" He leaned forward, his elbows on the table again. "Why did you go back to his house with him? What made you think that was a good idea?"

"I don't remember. I was too drunk to care if anyone took me home. Honestly, I see now how much danger I put myself in. It would have been wise to find my friend before I left without her. I just remember waking up the next morning, regretting drinking so much."