32 - Daze

"You keep coming up to the rooftop expecting something...different. How much of a dumbass are you?"

I turned around slowly, my heart racing. I knew coming here would bring back whoever was messing with me. Watching me. Seeing him now, I knew that I was right. I wasn't some crazy person. Whatever they were doing to me was working. Everyone thought I was crazy.

"What do you want from me?" I managed to choke out. His eyes were cold, emotionless. He just looked at me, like I was nothing. I swallowed hard, trying to find my courage. I had to make him understand. "Just leave me alone," I pleaded. "I don't know what you want from me."

He smiled, a cruel twist of his lips. "Sweetness...I don't want anything from you. Mr. McCarthy does. I assume you kept your mouth shut when the captain came to speak to you."

My mouth dropped open. "What? No, I didn't! I told him everything. Why would I keep quiet?"

"Because you want to keep your job, right?" He leaned against the railing, his voice laced with sarcasm. "You're not as innocent as you make yourself out to be. You know what Mr. McCarthy is capable of. And you know what I'm capable of." He shrugged. "I guess it doesn't matter anymore. The fun's over. You didn't tell."

Fun? When was any of this ever fun?

"The NDA you signed prevents you from verbally discussing anything about Mr. McCarthy," he continued, his voice cold. "But that doesn't mean you can't write it down. In fact, I suggest you do. You never know who might find it useful. But if anyone hears that you said anything, it's the chopping block for you, sweetness. I can only do so much to help you."

"Why would you ever help me?"

He chuckled, the sound cold and hollow. "Let's just say I have my reasons. If you know what's good for you, you'll keep this meeting to yourself."

I nodded, feeling a chill run down my spine. "I won't say anything. I promise."

He smirked. "I hope not. Because if you do, I'll make sure you regret it. And try to dress more appropriately, sweetness. Predators are roaming everywhere."

I looked down at myself, realizing that I'd indeed come to the rooftop half dressed. It wasn't my fault. No one is ever up here. I didn't stop to think that my blackmailer was respectful.

"Some of them may not be as nice as me..."

"I'll be more careful," I managed to say, forcing a weak smile. "Thanks for the warning."

He nodded, unimpressed. "Don't thank me yet. We'll see how long this lasts. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have other things to attend to." With that, he turned and disappeared into the building.

I stood there for a moment, shivering in the cold night air, my heart racing. What did he mean by "other things to attend to?" And why had he called me sweetness? It made me feel even more uneasy. I knew I had to get out of here, fast.

As I hurried back inside, my thoughts were spinning. I didn't know who to trust or what to do. All I knew was that I couldn't go to the police. They would never believe me. And even if they did, Mr. McCarthy would make sure I regretted it.

"Babe, am I going to have to move in with you? Or you move in with me?" Axel asked when I walked into the apartment. "I know you need fresh air, but going up to the roof alone makes me worry about you."

"Worry less." I sent him a tight lipped smile. "Everyone is worried for no reason. I know I'm not crazy."

I wanted to believe my own words, but as I looked at him, I knew he could see right through me. He raised his eyebrow in question, and I felt myself squirm under his gaze. "I'm just...tired, that's all." I forced a laugh, trying to sound more confident than I felt. "I'll be fine."