4 - Ditsy or Just Dumb

I hadn't been expecting two full weeks to pass before I finished the research Dr. Wellington had asked me to do. I was fully prepared to prove him wrong, but I was also prepared to have him prove me wrong. Honestly, he was right. What he wanted me to research didn't exactly have anything to do with helping convicts return to society.

Honestly, the wait was more than bearable with Parker around. She was a great conversationalist, and she made it clear that she was genuinely interested in the work I was doing. When she wasn't out partying or working, she pretty much stuck around to help me research. And while it was still a bit of a stretch, it wasn't like I was just sitting there twiddling my thumbs. We spent a lot of time discussing social issues and debating different philosophies.

"Ugh, my head." Speak of the devil. "Sorry about barging in here last night. I sort of...forgot to be quiet."

"I didn't notice," I muttered. I'd learned to use my noise-canceling headphones whenever she was out later than midnight. "Want some pear juice? I can order some soup, too."

She smiled weakly. "I'll take the pear juice...and some toast."

"Oh, by the way, my friends are coming over later. Just wanted to warn you. They can be loud, so I don't...want you to get irritated with them."

"Why should I have any say in who you invite here?" she asked. "I don't have any room to get mad. Your apartment. Your friends."

"Our apartment, Parker." I shook my head. "But I really wanted to throw a party, but...since you're recovering--"

"No, the fuck I'm not! Again, your apartment."

"Parker, you're being very understanding and I sort of...hate it."

"I've learned to let things happen rather than fight it. Besides, if it were the other way around, I'd hit you, if you tried to tell me what I couldn't do in my own apartment."

That's why I loved her.

"Your neighbors don't mind when you throw parties?" she asked.

"Not really." I shrugged. "Whenever they do complain, they never turn down my offer to join us."

"I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume...a younger crowd stays here."

"And you would be correct."

Parker and I went about our business after breakfast. I decided to check my email before heading out to run a few errands. It was just my luck to find a recent email from Dr. Wellington. My chest constricted as I debated on whether I should open it or not.

To: Sinclair.Irene@hotmail.com
Subject: Employment Confirmation

Irene Sinclair,

Upon reviewing your resumé and letters of recommendation, on behalf of the Scientality family, I hereby confirm that you have been employed full-time (40 hrs/week) as a junior forensic psychologist. As of May 20th, you will receive full benefits listed in the contract you will receive once you have confirmed you received this email.

Your areas of activity include:

• Providing psychological insight about an offender's behavioral patterns

• Developing psychological tests

• Leading supervised group counseling sessions

• Maintaining records of all interviews and findings

We look forward to your valuable contributions and wish you the very best for a fruitful career with our company.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly. I am always available by phone and email in case of any queries.