51 - Great Minds Alike

There was a long pause. I could almost feel her hesitation through the air. Then she was gone, the door clicking shut behind her. I waited for a moment, already expecting Ezra to know that I was still awake. But he didn't say anything. He just got into bed, pulling me close, being careful about not ripping any needles out of my arm.

We lay there in silence, the only sound the soft beep of the machines monitoring my vitals. I knew he was still awake, even though his breathing had grown deeper. I wondered what he was thinking, if he was really as cold-hearted as he wanted me to think he was. Or if there was a part of him that cared about me, that didn't want me to get hurt.

But I couldn't bring myself to ask. Not now, when I knew the stakes were so high. I had to play my part perfectly, trusting that he would do the same. He had come too far, risked too much, to let anything slip now.

The minutes ticked by, the machines around me beeping softly. I could feel the warmth of his breath on my neck, and I knew he was watching me, studying my every move. It was a strange sort of comfort, this feeling of being so closely watched. It made me feel like I wasn't alone in this, like we were in this together, despite everything.

Finally, exhaustion overtook me, and I drifted off to sleep. My last thought was of Valery, and the trust I'd placed in her. I had hoped she would be the one to find the flash drive I'd hidden, and that it would be enough to find me. But I knew now that she wasn't to be trusted. I was almost grateful Dr. Wellington had a policy about outsiders being too nosey. Now I could only hope the right person found it.

I woke up to Ezra on top of me, glaring at me as if he knew I'd been awake last night. Though I hadn't felt it when I'd woken up, pain radiated throughout my body, reminding me that I was still as I was the day before.

"Must be fun waking up in pain," he teased. "I know you were awake last night. Was it fun hearing how the woman you trusted had been working against you this entire time?"

His words stung, and I had to bite my tongue to keep from retorting. Instead, I tried to keep my expression neutral as I looked up at him. The pain wasn't too bad, subsiding into a dull ache I knew would only get worse as the day went on. I didn't want to give him the satisfaction of seeing how much it was affecting me.

"I suppose it's a good thing I don't trust anyone then," I said.

Ezra raised an eyebrow. "Aw, are you trying to be tough? Irene..."

I ignored the comment, deciding to focus on the pain instead. It throbbed in my muscles, a constant reminder of how fragile my body was, how close to breaking. I flexed my fingers, wincing as the movement sent sharp pains through my wrists.

"Where's the doctor?"

"Somewhere. You'll be fine until he comes to check on you. In the meantime, should I just have a little fun with you?"

I glanced away, looking anywhere but at him. I knew he was enjoying this, relishing in the power he had over me. And I hated him for it. But I couldn't let him see that. Not yet.

"Why are you so fucking weird?" I said through gritted teeth.

He laughed, the sound cold and mocking. "You have no idea how much fun I could have with you right now. You really have no idea."

I closed my eyes, trying to ignore the pain and his taunts. I knew he was telling the truth. There was something in the way he looked at me, in the way he moved, that made it clear he wasn't someone to be trifled with. But I couldn't show him that I was scared. I couldn't let him know how much his words hurt.

After what felt like an eternity, the door opened and the doctor walked in. He glanced at me, then at Ezra, a knowing look in his eyes.

"Would you mind?" he asked Ezra.