40 - Trapped

The days went by, and I tried to make the best of my situation. I helped around the house, cooked meals, and cleaned the rooms. I didn't speak much to anyone, but they seemed to accept my presence without protest. What made everything worse was the constant surveillance. I knew that there were cameras everywhere, watching my every move. It made me feel like a caged animal.

Without Ezra around, I had a feeling that he was doing more than throwing everyone off his trail. I didn't know what he'd told anyone about my disappearance. Isaias had been the last person to see me. What had become of him? Did anyone suspect he had anything to do with it? If anyone found out I slept with him that night, it's going to get even more complicated.

Erik tried to keep me company, but I didn't want to talk to him. The woman he'd come with was spending more and more time with the women in the basement. I didn't know whether to feel relieved or more worried. Would she really care for them? And what about Klara? She was the only person I knew personally. How was she handling being trapped, not knowing I was here and trying to find a way to get her out?

Days turned into weeks, and I started to lose hope. The only thing that kept me going was hoping someone was really looking for me. I tried not to think about Ezra fucking up every lead. Someone was bound to see what he was doing and investigate him. Maybe Captain West was still as precautious as he'd been when I was in the hospital. If he doesn't trust anyone on his team, then there's a possibility he's spoken to someone else about it. Hopefully not Ezra.

I hated to admit it, but Jovani and I were getting closer. I came to realize that he'd been the one to trick me into coming off the roof. I didn't know how I hadn't noticed by the way he never said my name. I suppose I wasn't expecting some huge guy who had a soft spot for kidnapped women. I didn't know if he was sleeping with any of the other women. Or if he even had the mind to do such a thing. I just knew that he was the only guy I could really talk to without feeling as if he was prying for information.

"What if Ezra catches me with you?" he asked.

"...Maybe he'll keep his hands off of me," I said. "Besides, it's not like we've fucked yet."

Jovani chuckled. "Well, you know, that could be arranged. If you want."

I looked at him sideways. "And what makes you think I'd want that?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe because we're getting along, and I'm trying to keep you safe. Or maybe because I'm not the only one who's lonely in this place."

I didn't respond. I wasn't sure what to say. I knew that sleeping with him wouldn't change anything. It wouldn't make me any less of a prisoner, but maybe it would give me a sense of control, even if it was just an illusion. I wasn't sure if I was ready to take that step, even though I was lonely.

"It's up to you," Jovani said, his voice soft. "I'm not going to push you into anything you don't want. I just want you to know that you can trust me."

I nodded slowly, not quite meeting his gaze. "Are you sure you're not married? No girlfriend? No fiancée? No woman you really love?"

"Yes. Why would you ask that?"

"Just making sure..."

Jovani leaned in closer, his breath tickling my ear. "I don't want you to think I'm just being nice to you because I feel sorry for you, sweetness."

My heart skipped a beat at his nearness. He had this way of making me feel safe, despite the danger we were both in. "Why are you being so nice to me then?" I asked.

"Because," he said, taking my hand in his, "I like you. A lot."

I looked up at him, my eyes wide. It wasn't the kind of like I'd been expecting. There was something different in his expression, something deeper. He meant it. He really liked me. And for some reason, I found myself wanting to believe him.