27 - We're Watching Closely

"Are you okay, Dr. Sinclair?" Dr. Wellington asked. "Take a seat. It won't take long."

I nodded, looking around his office. I'd only ever been in here once for the interview. Even then, I hadn't looked around enough to notice more than his medical degrees and awards lining the walls. "I'm fine," I said, trying to keep my voice steady. "What's going on?"

Dr. Wellington's expression softened. "I'm concerned about some of your recent behavior. You've been missing deadlines, making mistakes, and your mood seems...off. You've been avoiding meetings and canceling events. Is there something going on that you want to talk about?"

I felt a lump in my throat. He was right; I had been avoiding everything. But how could I tell him that it was more than just everything that happened recently? That I was more worried about my personal feelings than working like I was supposed to be?

"I...I don't know what to say, sir. It's not just work. It's..." My voice trailed off, and I looked down at my hands, twisting a loose thread on my skirt. "I don't want to make excuses. I just can't seem to focus on anything right now."

Dr. Wellington leaned back in his chair, his expression thoughtful. "I understand that things have been difficult for you," he began. "With everything that's happened recently, plus your meetings...it's only natural to feel overwhelmed sometimes. But we can't let personal issues interfere with our work, Dr. Sinclair. As a member of this team, I need you to prioritize your responsibilities."

He paused, studying my face. "However, I do believe in giving people some breathing room when they need it. Why don't you take a few days off? Clear your head, recharge your batteries. You've earned it. And when you come back, we can discuss how to better manage your time and stress levels."

"I'd rather not, sir," I said, looking up at him. "I think it's important to stay here, to keep working. It helps me focus on something other than..." I trailed off, not wanting to say it out loud. "But I appreciate your offer, and I'll try to do better. I promise."

Dr. Wellington smiled sympathetically. "I understand that feeling, Dr. Sinclair. Sometimes, it's easier to face our problems when we're busy with something else. But remember that your health and well-being are just as important as your work. I'm not asking you to take time off, I'm telling you."

He stood up and walked around the desk, offering me his hand. "I can be more than understanding, Dr. Sinclair," he said, "but you must promise me that you'll take care of yourself. Your work here, your research, it's too important to be jeopardized by personal matters. I want you to know that I am here for you, and if there's anything I can do to help, please don't hesitate to ask."

I took his hand, feeling a strange mixture of gratitude and guilt wash over me. "Thank you, sir. I appreciate that. I'll do my best to keep up with everything."

He nodded, squeezing my hand briefly before letting it go. "Good. You can go finish whatever work you have left for the day or...you can go home right now. It's up to you."

I didn't want to do either, but who was I to say that? He'd probably fire me for thinking I could do whatever I wanted. Life is hard. Even harder when you have too many people rooting against you. Hoping you'll fail, because somehow you deserve it.

But I nodded anyway. "I'll go finish my work, sir."

Dr. Wellington smiled and gestured for me to leave. As I turned to go, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror on the wall. My normally tidy hair was a mess, and there were dark circles under my eyes. I looked exhausted. I tried to tell myself that it was just a bad day, but deep down, I knew there was more to it than that.

As I walked back to my desk, I couldn't help but feel a sense of relief. Dr. Wellington had given me the opportunity to prove myself, and I wasn't going to squander it. I pulled up my files and started working with renewed focus. Hours passed as I lost myself in my research, forgetting for a while the weight of my personal problems.