Adopted by the teachers 💝

Backstory: Mr. Ajayi and Mr. Farouk stared to notice how Darcy acted at home-time and with adults. Mr. Ajayi asked her about it, so she explained her situation at home. Mr. Farouk and Mr. Ajayi currently live in an apartment together, so, they get an idea they aren't sure will work, but they try. Darcy, on the other hand, has no idea what their plan is. (Yes, Darcy knows about the teachers' relationship)

Darcy's POV:

I'm sitting at home, being yelled at and hit by mum, when there's a knock on the door.

Mum gets up and answers the door.

It's all muffled talking and I can't see who it is.

"Come in! It's so great to finally meet one of Darcy's teachers." Is all I can hear.

Mum makes her way into the living room, followed by...Mr. Ajayi?

I don't speak a word.

"So, what seems to be the problem?" Mum asks, setting down 2 cups of tea and handing me mine.

I try not to scream and cry as my hand is slowly being burned from the tea.

I set the cup down, not caring what mum says, and blow on my hand to cool it down.

"Manners, Darcy Olsson." Mum scolds me.
"Sorry."

~~

Mum's been asking questions about my work and stuff, but I'm not quite sure that's why Mr. Ajayi is here.

"I'm going out to the garden for a minute, if you don't mind." Mum acts so innocent it's infuriating.
"That's alright." Mr. Ajayi gives me a look of concern.

As soon as the backdoor shuts, Mr. Ajayi starts explaining why he's here.

"Darcy, I have everything I need if you want to come with me." He breathes out.
"What do you mean?"
"I have the papers and everything if you want to live with me and Mr. Farouk."
"H-How? It-" I start to well up.
"Darcy, calm down. I wouldn't ask if I didn't want you to and I see how you feel here."
"W-What about M-Mr. Farouk?"
"We've been talking about it for a while now and he just wants you in a safe home."

Tears roll down my cheeks as I realise how much these teachers care about me.

"But my mum-" I get cut off by the backdoor opening.

I wipe my eyes and act like nothing happened.

"Mrs. Olsson, may we talk?" Mr. Ajayi asks.
"Yes. Is everything alright?"
"Everything's alright."

Mum tries to take a seat next to me, but Mr. Ajayi sits down first.

"Sorry. I just thought you might want a full couch instead of sitting with Darcy." He acts.
"Thank you."

Mum takes a seat on the couch opposite of us and I feel a hand on mine.

"Mrs. Olsson, I've got a feeling that this place isn't like home to Darcy." He starts.
"Excuse me!?" Mum stands up.
"In one way or another, Darcy seems more confident at school."
"What are you saying!?"
"Well, I had the idea that maybe I could take her in?"

Mum gives him a confused look, so he continues speaking.

"As my daughter. I just feel that it may help her concentrate more and it may help her with school."
"So, you'd adopt Darcy?"
"Yes, Mrs. Olsson."
"You know what..." She throws her hands in the air. "fine! Take her as you please! It gives me more room in the house anyway."

I breathe out a breath I never knew I was holding.

"Thank you, Mrs. Olsson."
"Do you have papers to confirm it?"
"We  could go to court."
"Wouldn't I need to argue for her."
"No. You wouldn't. All we would need is Darcy's confirmation and that's it settled."
"When would court be?"
"Tomorrow. 2pm."
"I'll be there."