Chapter 32

Chapter 32.
Botle's Point Of View:

"Where were you?" Was the first thing I heard when I opened the door.

I softly closed the door and faced my mom and dad that were standing by the foyer. My mom was the one that spoke up.

"I— uh, I went out to get some fresh air," I said, as confidently as I could, but damn this stutter will be the death of me.

"Fresh air for 5 hours? I'm not dumb, where were you?" She replied in an annoyed tone. My dad stood quietly behind her, a look of disappointment on his face.

"You know where I was," I gave in, as I softly mumbled those words.

"Do I? I want you to say it with your lips," she taunted.

"I— uh, I was... " I trailed off.

"Botle, answer the question, where were you?" My dad spoke up for the first time since this interrogation.

"I was with Josh," I softly said. My head whipped to the side as I felt my cheek sting. I held my cheek, surprised. My mom slapped me.

She slapped me?

"Ma?" I asked, my voice barely audible.

"After I specifically told you not to go with that boy, you disobey me! Who do you think you are?" She lividly said.

"I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean t—"

"You didn't mean to? What do you mean you didn't mean to?! What did you mean to do then?" She cut me off, asking sarcastically.

Unable to respond, I kept my mouth shut and looked towards the floor. Damn, my cheek still stings.

"Honey, calm down. I think she gets it now," my dad tried to calm her, but to no avail.

"No no no, if she has the audacity to leave my house without my permission, then she should have the same audacity to answer my questions. Ankere ke mosadi nou?" she said, her eyes never leaving me. (She's a woman, now)

"Mama, I'm sorry," I said, softly.

"If you think you are old enough to make your own decisions, might as well leave my house," she clicked her tongue after she said that and left. My father passed me a look of disappointment before trailing after my mother.

I ran up to my room and locked myself inside. I walked to my bathroom and stood in front of the mirror. My cheek had a red outline of my mother's hand.

Walking back to my room, I lay on my bed and reach out for my airpods that were on the bedside drawer. I plugged them in and listened to music, making sure that the volume is on full blast. I don't feel like talking to anyone right now.

While playing a game on my phone, I received a notification.

+27 76 XXX XXXX
: I hope you had a great day today, because I know I did.
Sent at 22:13
: I also hope I didn't get you into too much trouble with your parents?
Sent at 22:15

Could it...?

Could it be that Josh was the one texting me this whole time? How stupid could I have been! My lips softly widened as I read the text over and over again.