33

*Thursday*

Nick

Class is winding down; Avery and I sit silently next to each other as students wrap up their work.

"Stay back after class?" I mutter quietly to Avery.

"Sort of already planned to, Jeremy needs some help with test-prep." she replies.

I was hoping to spend some alone time with her, maybe tease her a little bit but also just get to hang out with her, since we really haven't had much time to do that lately.

But thank goodness she mentioned that... I completely forgot that Nina asked for help after class today too.

"That reminds me, Nina is staying back to get some help from me as well."

"You?" she asks, seeming surprised.

"Right, I forgot to tell you that she asked to work with me from now on, I guess she just works better with me somehow."

Avery scoffs slightly under her breath.

"What?"

"Nothing." she replies.

"It's not nothing."

"It is, trust me."

"Are you upset that she switched? It's nothing personal against you, she swore."

"I'm fine, Nick." she insists quietly, but sternly. She most certainly is not fine... But I decide not to push it, especially not in class.

Once class has wrapped up, Nina has sat herself at my desk again and Avery moved to sit next to Jeremy to help him.

I occasionally glance up at Avery, noticing her dry expression when she glances back at me. I know something is wrong, but I don't know what, and it sucks. 

"Mr. L?" Nina's voice gets my attention.

"What? Oh, sorry..." 

"Everything okay? You seem off." she asks.

"I'm alright, sorry. Continue."

Some more time passes by, and I do my best to focus on helping Nina, but I'm still stuck on whatever is wrong with Avery. 

Nina starts to wrap up and gather her things while I attempt to not be so obvious with my staring at Avery.

"Thank you again, Mr. L. I think I'll do well on the test thanks to your help." Nina smiles.

"It's no problem, Nina. I think most of the work was all you."

My gaze instinctively moves back to Avery who still occasionally looks back at me. I feel a hand on mine which brings my attention back to Nina again.

"I think I'd be screwed if it weren't for you." she smiles, her hand gently laying on top of mine.

I slowly pull my hand away and try to act casual.

"I think that's a bit harsh but thank you. Just doing my job." I smile.

"See you Monday for the test." she smiles, leaving the room.

I'm not very good at reading people, or getting hints but... Did she just flirt with me? That hand touch felt a little... Touchy. Less professional than I'm used to. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Some time passes while Avery continues helping Jeremy, and I sit at my desk pretending to work, but really just filled with impatience to talk to Avery and figure out what's wrong.

Finally, Jeremy packs up and leaves, then Avery wanders back to her desk and quietly sits down to pack her things.

"Ave..."