39 ~ The Cooking Drama

"If I had a flower for every time I thought of you....I could walk through my garden forever."

Ruhanika

A week has passed since the incident. Now that my period is over, I can finally be rid of my cute Dev. He was literally on his toes. He was not ready to listen, and for the entire week, he would not let me do anything but rest. Maya and Janki Amma were doing the same thing alongside him, which made me want to cry at times because they fed me like a cow. Dev delegated responsibility for my care to them because he was constantly busy with preparations.

He declared that in ten days, he would get married. The announcement of the upcoming queen made the entire kingdom joyful and enthusiastic. Following the marriage, he will inherit the throne at a coronation ceremony. Both commoners and royal families are very interested in learning more about the girl who will marry Magadh's crown prince.

Dev has not revealed my identity until now, for which I am very grateful. I did not feel prepared for the intense scrutiny, but I now have to be. I can not allow anyone to give him any backlash. He chose me, so now I must demonstrate that I am the best choice.

The king and queen's silence is becoming increasingly unsettling to me. Their silence is not good, especially since the entire kingdom is preparing for the crown prince's wedding. I am not sure why, but I have a feeling they are up to something; they are not going to just accept me.

Starting tomorrow, the rituals will begin. Tomorrow is my God Bharayi, which means after that, I will not be able to meet Dev. He has provided me with a royal chamber and a group of attendees who are determined to groom me. I spent four hours in the bath, getting massaged and waxed. They used different clays and fragrances to wash my body and hair. My scent was divine at this point. They even dried my hair with fragrant smoke; the aroma of jasmine was enchanting and enticing. It was both relaxing and awkward, as they were constantly teasing me. They dressed me in a voluminous midnight blue lehenga and ornate jewelry after the beauty treatment. With the kajal in my eyes and a tiny bindi on my forehead, I looked stunning.

I wanted to meet him and spend some time with him because it would probably be the last time we met before the wedding. I was starting to feel anxious without any apparent reason—probably pre-wedding jitters. I decided to make him something, specifically kheer, which is his favorite dish. Since I was usually the one receiving gifts, I decided to do something special for him this time. He already has every materialistic item imaginable, so I decided to prepare his favorite dessert for him. But the problem is, I am terrible at cooking. What do I do now?

I decided to sneak into the kitchen after everyone had gone to bed, but I needed a companion who would assist me with the cooking while also keeping an eye on the door. But, who? Janki Amma is not an option because she will certainly prevent me from visiting his chamber at midnight. 

I was thinking about this while sitting in the royal garden until my gaze was drawn to someone. My eyes twinkled with mischief and happiness as I prepared to slaughter my goat. I approached him with a smirk on my face; I had been looking forward to this day for a long time.

"Ahem, ahem," I cleared my throat, reaching out and making the person look at me blankly, which only made my smirk wider.

"What do you want?" He inquired in a tired tone, making me grin innocently.

"Oh, Bhaisa, you are incredibly intelligent. How were you aware of my desire for something?" I asked him purposefully in a childish tone that made him cringe.

"It is written on your face, and do not use that voice if you do not want me to throw you out," He said, making my grin wider.

"Oh no, Bhaisa, why are you becoming upset? I have not even done anything yet, and you are telling me I am going to be kicked out? That is unfair. I wonder what will happen if Dev finds out about this. My Dev will be furious," I remarked sweetly as I blew air on my fingernails, which only made him angrier. Oh my goodness, I love this.