54 ~ Heartfelt Confrontation

"You make want to be a better man."

Dev

"Why? Why are you doing it again, Dev? I will never forgive you for causing me this much pain," she sobbed, clutching my knuckles in her delicate palms.

She appeared to be in great pain, and for some reason, I wanted to relieve her suffering. The excessive number of whys in each sentence baffles me even more. Is there something I am missing, or is she hiding something?

"Explain to me the cause of this discomfort. Why does it seem like these stunning eyes have a tale to tell each and every time they gaze at me? Why is it that every time you look at me, you cry? Under your self-assured façade, what are you hiding? What caused your soul to be so severely broken?" As I asked, she glanced at me.

However, she began chuckling instead of responding, which confused me. There was something strange about her laugh. It carried a weight, a weight of feelings she was unsure how to express.

"I find it amusing that you are curious about the cause of my suffering. What should I tell you?" She looked directly into my eyes and said, "That you are the reason for every pain and cure that I have."

I felt like someone snatched my breath. Was I the source of her pain? But, why? What exactly did I do? What action of mine caused her such severe pain?

"Even if I were to tell you why I am experiencing this, Dev, you would not believe me. Nobody will, how can anyone trust me when there are moments when I do not even believe in myself?" She remarked, laughing once more.

"It is not for you to decide on your own. If I have no idea what you are trying to say, how can I possibly believe you?" I said, giving her a clear look that conveyed my anger.

"Want to know?" I nodded in response to her question as she asked, smiling.

"Even if I tell you the truth, it will not help you, me, or us—there are things that are better left unsaid, Dev." Grinning, she spoke while dabbing at her tears.

"You do not have to tell me, it is okay. I can not make you open up to me when we do not even know each other well." I started to say, but I stopped when I heard her loud laugh.

I was curious as well as incensed when she said, "Do not know each other," and laughed once more.

If she is aware of it, why is she unable to tell me? Why is she driving me crazy with all the theories running through my head? She is giving me the impression that I have forgotten a very important aspect of who I am, even though that is not the case, and I am beginning to doubt my own existence. I have never been in an accident that would cause brain damage or anything similar. How then can I overlook something? Do I have Alzheimer's disease?

I moved closer to her, infuriated by her strange behavior, and she took a few back steps, causing her back to collide with the door as I hovered over her figure. I forced her to look at me by holding her jaw.

"How come you are playing with me, Ruhanika Sharma? How come you can not just tell me what you are aware of? Do you have any idea how this makes me feel? I feel like I committed a sin, that I have hurt someone to the point where their soul has been shattered. The ironic thing is that I have no idea what I have done. You will never be able to comprehend my feelings," I gritted my teeth.

She gave me a brief look before giving me a hug, which immediately made me feel better. I felt at ease as she rubbed my back. I returned the hug, nestling into her neck and breathing in her soothing aroma. I had no idea that hugging someone could feel so good.

"Dev, they are to blame for my suffering; you did nothing wrong. Yes, you shared in that suffering, but it was not because of anything you did to me—rather, it was because you were taken from me. Never mind; do not feel guilty or anything. Just let it be. Alright?" Her quiet words piqued my interest in a lot of different ways.