14

The sun was covered by the clouds above.
Mandy was walking to the doctor's office with her mother. She needed to get herself a note from the doctor's office to dismiss her from school today. They drove the car there. Mandy stepped out of the car and walked up the stairs to the hospital alone. As she was entering the doctor's office, she saw a line leading to the hospital. She stood behind a guy with a gray sweater on. He had a hood on. She waited there for a few minutes before it was her turn. As the guy was walking out of the doctor's office, she saw his face. It was Chester. Her mother wasn't here, and it was the perfect time to talk to him. She grabbed onto his hand as he moved away from her quickly.

- Chester. Please, just... wait for me.

Mandy was holding up the line behind her, and the people were getting impatient by the minute. She stood there tugging onto Chester's sleeves. He seemed very calm and collected. Mandy saw that his eyes were red and her heart tightened from fear.

'Maybe Chester was just tired.'

Chester's voice broke her out of her thoughts. He spoke up to Mandy.

- Mandy. Just let me go. I just want to forget this.

She felt something inside her twisting and hurting. With a desperate voice, she said.

- Please wait outside for me.

Chester said nothing as she left him alone. Mandy went inside the office and asked for a note. The nurse gave her a note for the whole week, and she immediately exited. She was running trying to catch up to him. Where was he. She was running across the corridor searching for Chester. She saw him. He was exiting the hospital. Mandy caught up to him and grabbed his arm. She looked at him. This wasn't Chester. Was it just a random guy? Her arm fell down, and she said.

- Sorry. Uhm, have you seen someone with the same outfit as you with a hood on?

- Sorry, but no.

She walked out of the hospital and got in the car. They drove off.

...................................................................................

Chester walked towards the park. He'd take a rest from all of this. Chester sat on one of the benches and thought for a while. He'd need to make himself something to eat. Chester stood up and walked to the nearest store. The effects of the drugs were wearing off. He went in and bought some bread and some vegetables. He was going to make a soup. Chester considered what he would make it with. He could buy some chicken and cut it up to make a chicken soup, but he decided that he could make a meatball soup. He bought a frozen pack of meatballs and went to the front counter. Chester paid the lady at the front and left the store. He came back home and took off his shoes. Chester went to the basement where he had wood and used it to fire up the furnace. First he put the frozen meatballs under the furnace to heat up and unfreeze. After that, he peeled up some potatoes he had and cut them into small cubes. Chester took a pot and filled it up with water. He left it on the furnace and put a leftover boullion cube he had. After he put it in the water, Chester took the unfrozen meatballs and opened the bag. He put them one by one inside the boiling pot of water, and after that, he put the cubes of potatoes he cut. This was a bit more exciting than sitting in a room snorting drugs all day. Maybe he could become a cook one day? Chester waited for a bit. The room was warming up from the furnace, and the whole kitchen and dining area was filled with heat from the kitchen furnace. After he left it to cook for a good 30 minutes, Chester took it off of the furnace and placed it on the table. He put something below so that the pot didn't burn a hole through the table cloth. Chester took a porcelain bowl and a laddle. He filled the bowl up with steaming hot soup. Chester left the laddle in the sink and grabbed himself a spoon. Chester waited a bit for it to cool down, and he took a spoon of the soup and tasted it. It was good.