31 Ending

They learned what happened inside the house. For a week straight, Mandy was feeling this hole inside her, which couldn't heal. He had done it. He had killed him. His father died along with his son that night. She still felt absolutely crushed by someone she did even come to know again. Mandy walked down the stairs towards her parent's room. She knocked three times, and the door opened. Mandy stood there.

- I want you to tell me about him. AND I WON'T TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!

Mandy said in a strict tone. Her father looked at her as she stood. She had faint tear streaks along her cheeks, and she looked a bit pale. Her father came out of the room and walked towards the kitchen. It was friday night at 12 am, and Mandy still felt as if she had school tomorrow. Mandy's father turned on the stove and took a few cups. He took a teapot and filled it up with water. Mandy watched as he put it over the hot stove and waited until it was boiling. He took a few tea bags and set them inside while pouring hot water from the teapot. Her father brought the cups over to the dining table, and they both sat down on the chairs.

- Okay. Since you want to know about your friend, I'll tell you. Chester had drug problems. I don't know how you found out, but you did. Your mother said to me that Chester did something inappropriate to you while you were sick one day and that he came over with you on his back. Your mother was angry at him and it resulted in him getting hit with a cup.

Mandy looked at her father

- What do you mean inappropriate?

Her father looked at her and then back at the cup, which was in front of him.

- He bit you on the neck while you were passed out from exhaustion.

Her father looked at her.

- I don't know if he felt sorry. You were angry at him for doing that to you, but sometime later, while we were on vacation, you got back with him, and you suffered for it by losing your memories. I don't know what happened to him after that.

Mandy looked at her father.

- He was responsible for your memory loss, Mandy.

Mandy felt even more angry now.

- He warned me of going out with him, but I still chose to be with him, and now he's away.

Mandy held onto her hair as she made a painful expression. She his behind her hands, and soft weeping was heard. She hadn't even drank from her tea.

- I want to talk to him so much, but I can't even see him anymore!!

Mandy whispered with her voice breaking in the end. Her tears fell and her eyes burned from her crying. Her father reached out to her and began to stroke her hand and try calming her down, but it only made her feel worse. The thought that she won't be able to see him again and at least thank him for protecting her that day was eating her up from the inside. It was all so tragic. Mandy sat in her seat while weeping.

...................................................................................

He walked up to the cafeteria lady. She gave him his lunch, and he began walking towards a table to sit. The other patients looked at him as he began to eat the mashed potatoes along with a chicken steak. It wasn't bad food, it just needed a little seasoning. He thought and laughed at the joke he made. As he was digging through the steak, he couldn't help but remember the way his head split in half as the bullet fired from the gun. Suddenly, he felt sick, but he still kept on eating. He poked the chicken steak with a fork before splitting it in half and remembering it again. The sound of the gunshot and the way the gun fell from his hands, then when the cops entered and he was arrested on the charge of murder. He kept on eating.

...................................................................................

Another week passed, and nothing changed. It was still the same. Mandy went to school and did her homework, only this time Chester wasn't there. She had no idea what he was like. His tenderness and kindness, his jokes that made everyone laugh, his love towards her was now lost, and only bits or pieces of it were scattered. She couldn't remember anything they ever did together, and this was the most tragic part. They were surely never meant to be. Mandy wondered and stared at the stars, and only a tear dew fell down with the rain outside.

...................................................................................

A month passed. School was over, and Mandy was still feeling that same emptiness. She went out with her friends, and it helped sometimes, but she still felt that longing of intertwining her hands with his while they were together. It was as if she could almost grasp that feeling of him being with her again. Maybe it was a memory far forgotten. Maybe it was only her mind playing tricks on her. No one knows what it was.

...................................................................................

Mandy went inside the bathroom to shower. She looked at the water heater level. Suddenly she felt something strange. A distant memory. Something far away that indicated something. Mandy tried to remember, but she failed to. She turned on the shower and began to wash herself.

...................................................................................

He went over the front. The lady at the front looked at him before speaking.

- You have 2 letters. Do you want me to tell you who they're from?

-Yes.

He said as the lady began to read.

- The first one is from the SC Police Department. The last one is from a person named Mandy. These are all the letters we received so far addressing your name.

He took the letters and started walking throughout the halls. He passed by each patient's room and walked outside the hospital. The weather was beautiful outside. The backyard had some trees and benches for sitting down, and other people were also outside. He walked towards a bench facing a tree. Taking a seat, he waited a bit before opening the first letter and reading through it. It was mainly a boring letter from the police department. He opened up the last letter from Mandy. There were two sentences.

" I know that we won't see each other ever again, but I want to say. Thank you.

From your dearest friend: Mandy."

Chester looked up at the tree in front of him. He sighed and felt his chest hurting. This was their goodbye to one another. Chester closed the letter and continued looking at the tree across him.

END.