18

Chester looked at her face as she sipped her coffee. He was mad at himself for messing up so much. But the girl beside him had made him forget about his total screw up. She was always so happy. It was as if there was more to it. Chester had seen Mandy crying a few times now, but all of the time, she was crying for him. He wondered what else she cried about. He shouldn't think about that now. Not when she seemed so happy here with him.

'You were going to take it all away from her that night.'

'When you were near death that night, how would've she reacted?'

Chester had really realized just now that he really had been on the brink of death when he took those 50 grams. He burrowed his head in his hands, and his face darkened with even more guilt. He should be happy that he didn't die that night.

- What's wrong, Chester?

- I may have taken a bit of drugs while you were sick.

Chester whispered to her and lowered his head. He had yet again failed her. Chester slowly looked up and saw that her face wasn't angry with him. She was actually disappointed with him, but Mandy could tell that it was more than that. He still had something to hide from her.

- Chester. Please be honest with me. How many grams did you take?

Chester broke apart his eye contact and looked down. He felt himself overwhelmed with his mistake.

- I'm so sorry, Mandy. I'm so stupid.

Chester grabbed his hair and began to twist. Mandy, in return, stopped him and took his arm.

- Please answer me truthfully.

Chester, in return, looked back at her

- I took 50 grams of it through the whole week.

Mandy felt her chest begin to hurt. She put her hand against her mouth as her face made a painful expression at him. She felt so horrible.

- I puked a bit of blood, but...

Chester stopped himself as he saw the way Mandy felt. She felt absolutely worse.

- Don't you care about me, Chester? What if you died that night?

Chester could tell that she was frustrated with him again but also worried a lot.

- There are no more drugs for me to take.

Mandy still kept looking down at the table.
Chester reached for her hand. He began to comfort her.

- I have no one but you.

Mandy spoke up. She was fighting tears right now.

- No one to hug me or comfort me like you do.

Chester's heart began to hurt as she kept talking. What if he really did die.

- So it's not fair that you can be this selfish and die on me!

- You are such a selfish person!

Chester looked at her and didn't argue. Of course, he was selfish.

- Mandy.

She looked at him and faced him.

- I'm sorry, okay?

Mandy looked at him angrily.

- You can't just worm your way out of this one, Chester! You said that you puked blood! Do you think I'll just forgive you for doing this to your body?

There was still something that Chester didn't understand about her.

- Why do you worry about me so much?