25

Chester looked at the white marbel floor in front of him while waiting for the nurse to say Mandy's condition. He dug into his hair as the stress took toll on him. Chester felt that he was going to pass out. He sat still and waited while the buzzing of the lights was enough for him to go insane. The sound of a door opening was heard, and he saw the nurse. Chester slowly looked up, and when he saw the nurse, he quickly got up and spoke.

- Can I see her?

- No. She isn't well.

- What do you mean?

Chester looked at her, and his face twisted.

- What do you mean she isn't well?

- Look. Go home, kid. I know you're her boyfriend and all and that you're worried about her, but we can't break the news to you. You're not her parents.

Chester became a bit angry, so he ignored her and went inside the room she was in. The nurse tried to stop him, but he didn't budge. He went in and saw her. Mandy was lying in her bed, looking outside the window. She looked calm. Chester quickly went to her bedside, and she turned around. Mandy was expressionless and unamused by his presence.

- Mandy! Are you alright?

She looked confused.

- Who are you?

Chester looked at her with confusion

- What? It's me, Chester.

- What?

Mandy looked at him. He looked at her. The nurse yelled out.

- Security!

Chester heard the noise around him, but all he could register were the words that Mandy spoke next.

- I don't know you.

Everything around him was a blur. Chester was dragged away by the guards in the hospital as the blur continued. He was outside in the rain. Chester looked at the ground and started to walk away from the hospital. She didn't know who he was. Chester slowly walked in the rain while looking at the ground.

Something hot and bitter was burning him up from the inside, and his throat closed up. He felt the pain increase, so he hid in an allyway near the hospital. Chester started to run.

'You did this! You selfish asshole!'

He felt the hot tears fall down his cheeks and mix into the drops of rain on the ground. He ran faster than ever, not bothering to check for incoming cars. Chester ran through the crowd.

...................................................................................

'Who was this guy?'

Mandy thought as she looked around her. The last thing she remembered was being in school, but now she was in a hospital bed for whatever reason. Mandy looked at the nurse and was confused.

- Excuse me!

The nurse looked at her and came over.

- Why am I here?

- You've suffered an injury, and we still don't know if it affected you. Do you know the man that got you here?

- No?

- Look. I can't say anything, but the person you saw was the one that took you here.

'He took care of me?'

- But I don't know him.

Mandy looked down at the bed sheets and started to try to remember anything about that person.