12

- Yes. I'm a drug dealer.

Officer Colt looked at him and was silent.

- You know that you are going to be in serious trouble with the police, right? Do you only distribute drugs, or do you also...

The cop was cut off from Chester's answer.

- Yes.

Chester looked at him. The sound of silence was the only answer Chester received. The officer sat down on the chair that was opposite of him. He thought about what to say next.

- Where do you hide the drugs you use and distribute?

Chester thought for a bit.

'It was of no use anymore. I might as well just tell them about it.'

- I hid them under a loose floor board in my room.

The cop answered a bit, confused as soon as Chester finished talking.

- Why are you telling me all this?

- Because you're asking. I just don't know what to do with the drugs anymore. I'm hopeless, so I might as well tell you what I know.

He'd seen this kind of behavior before.

- Are you finished up with me, or do you want to ask me something more?

The officer stood up from his seat and said.

- Okay. Let's get you out of here. I will be taking us to your house.

They walked out of the questioning room, and the officer walked towards his partner to report. He was finishing up and walked out of the police station with Chester. The cop said to Chester.

- You still have time to turn away from this, you know?

Chester said nothing back as he got in the back seat. This time, only the two of them were together. The car ride to his home was quiet. The officer glanced back at Chester as if it were a habit he picked on every few minutes. Chester sat still as he thought about what a sick bastard he was. He did deserve to feel miserable after all.

'Why are you trying to tell yourself you aren't miserable and alone? Why don't you just accept who you are? You are an addict.'

  ' And that's all you were ever going to be. '

The officer drove to a familiar street. He was in his hometown now.

- This it?

Chester looked at the house. If he could call it that. It kinda looked like one of the abandoned houses. Good thing the lawn was in good condition. He didn't know why he kept it in good shape. It kinda came a habit to turn on the lawn mower and mow the lawn once he was high enough on drugs. He'd go out to mow the lawn at 4:00 in the morning. Maybe it was because of his bored state that he decided to do these stupid things.

- Yeah.

They got out of the car and walked along the path to his house.

- Your house is in a bad state. Does your father maintain this place?

The officer looked at the lawn. Chester replied.

- Well, at least I mow the lawn.

Chester looked at him before he heard the cop say.

- Incorrectly, may I add.

'Well, that's because I was always high when mowing the lawn.'

Chester thought to say. The officer knocked on the front door of the house. He waited there for a few minutes but received no answer.