CHAPTER SIX; It's Friday !

This morning, I woke up feeling really excited and relived because  today is FRIDAY.  I was just about to jump down from my bed with excitement when two painful realities dawned on me. The first was that today being Friday, the last two rows in the class room would be sweeping and I'm a part of that and I didn't know how to sweep a public school class room with almost one hundred furnitures.

   The second was that in the next two days Which would be Sunday  , I would have to go to  church and I didn't want to go with my low cut. I thought of tying a scarf but my  church doesn't really fancy scarves, I didn't have a wig , so I had no other choice but to just go like that and the thought of that  felt like hot water being splashed on my heart. I was really hurt and sad concerning this.

     When I got to School that day, the assembly was the same as it was the previous day with the same set of people leading it. After the singing, the Muslim teacher taught on hard work and when he was done, we all matched into  our class rooms in a disorderly manner. I waited . so I wouldn't get squashed .

   Today is Friday and there would be no teaching today, I overheard some girls discussing . They said that Friday was a playing day and that teachers don't teach on Fridays. It is surprising because that's  not  how it's done in private Schools. Well, I decided to summon some courage and go to the library today, after all, I  wasn't going to learn anything in Class today so, why not leave instead of staying in this hot and stuffy class and getting flogged for no reason.

     The Library was not filled when I entered and the air conditioner wasn't turned  on. I wondered why it wasn't turned  on because I've never seen it on  Since the first day I entered, instead, all the windows were widely opened . Perhaps the air conditioner is spoilt. I thought to my self.

My prayer was answered because Mrs. Yejide wasn't in the Library only Mr. Adesola was in the library.

I greeted him and kept my School bag by the door side. He didn't respond to  my greeting neither did he glanced at me , nor did he stop what he was writing, he just continued like a robot.

     I went to a shelf and spotted a really attractive book , I took it and went to sit

down carefully and quietly . I opened the book after touching the front cover and reading the title out loud, it was as if I was about  to cook the book. That's exactly how I always treat  a book before reading it. The title of the  book is 'FELICITY'.

  I was still reading the book when I heard the bell for break followed by the excited noises from the students in the next class, which is my class. I didn't bother going out  for break because of  what  Chubuikem told me yesterday during break . I just  remained in the library and concentrated on my book as others stepped  out of the library. Finally, I was the only student in the  library. I was left alone with Mr. Adesola and he finally took notice of me and asked"aren't you going out for break?" "No sir." I responded carefully.

"why not?" He asked again. "Nothing sir". I answered him while looking at his face but he just ignored me and kept writing.

    Afterwards, a female  student with a burnt patch on her uniform walked into the library holding a tray of food. She greeted Mr. Adesola and I saw him smile at her and took the food  from her.  He  kept the food  on his table full of books . He gave her some money and and she left the library stylishly even though her uniform has a burnt patch on it.

    When Mr. Adesola started eating, to my surprise, he looked at me and invited me to come and eat with him and my response as taught by my mother was "Oh! thank you sir." I didn't join him. In this  part of the world where I live, it Is a taboo to eat in public without inviting the people around to join you,hence the saying; "whoever eats alone , would die alone." To be sincere, this saying has left me confused a lot because why eat with you when I know I'll die with you, doesn't that mean that the food might be poisoned? or isn't that very ironic? as for me, I'll let you 'EAT alone , and , DIE alone'.