CHAPTER FORTY-TWO; "OUR ANCESTORS"

Finally. I heaved a sigh of anxiety as I jotted down "THIRD TERM BEGINS" in my Note books. This is it finally, I'll be saying goodbye to Junior School and Welcome to Senior School soon. I can't wait to dump this pink pinafore and cream top to get a purple painted skirt and a cream corporate shirt with my purple tie too.
   "Ah Omo the skirt wer I go sow for Senior School go make sense die.. I swear. Omo e go hot.(oh my God the skirt I'll make for myself for Senior School would be  so lovely. I swear it would be hot)"
  "Eh.. ehn ... Tell me something! Me my own go short (mine would be short)-"
" Ta .. sé wetin  happen! My own go long make e even be like wedding gown.( For what? mine would be as long as a wedding gown.)"
  " Pele! You na mummy G. O na. (Sorry! You are a Mummy G.O now)"
" I no blame you( I don't blame you).... He he.. he.. "
  I sat in my sit reading but not without getting distracted by the conversation these three girls were having. It was Joy, Blessing and Mercy and as usual, they were eating and together while discussing. They did this every morning whenever we were waiting for Mrs. Akinkunmi to come. Like, who eats rice or yam very early in the morning? Sometimes the even eat Eba (cassava dough)and soup. The most annoying part is that they don't keep quiet while eating. They are always talking. They never try to get me into their conversation because, they know I'm weird and plus,they don't like me. To them, 'I'm the girl who has only one friend '. I never try to blend in with them because, I can't. Ever since Chibuikem's death Rebecca has been the only friend I've had and still have, is Rebecca. Asake graduated last year after her WAEC. She didn't say goodbye and I wasn't bothered at all. After all , she was part of the reasons why I lost a Cousin so dear to me. I'll never forget him. It was during his WAEC examination that he was killed. His results came out but it wasn't complete.
My dad told me that out of Eleven subjects for Science Students, he did Seven and they all came out with Straight 'A's' . If he had finished it all, he would have been the best in his Set.
His mum, still hasn't give back to his dad. They are still separated but not divorced yet. She still hasn't recoverd from his death, so I heard from my mum.
  My mum told me one time that all the feeling of disgust and dislike she used to have for Chibuikem's mum dissipated we he died. It was as though his death brought them together.

    "So, JSS 3 your BECE would start on the 15th of May, 2019." Akinkunmi announced to us one beautiful morning during our early morning lessons with her. It was surprising how the whole place became Silent all at ones. Nobody said a thing.
  " Ah ahn... What's going on? Are these not my students? You are supposed to be clapping and shouting. " We all started clapping and shouting immediately even though it wasn't coming from our hearts.
  "It's okay." We stopped abruptly.
"So, your teachers would be preparing you guys. This is April, your examination starts next month so, you all have to work hard .did  you hear me? " She asked as she held her right ear.
" Yes ma. " We all chorused in unison.
     Some of the things we did in preparation for our BECE examination was; sowing, crocheting and cooking.
Our home Economics practical was really annoying. We were asked to contribute either money or the ingredients listed for the practical. I was among those who contributed ingredients because my parents, particularly my mum doesn't trust me with money. So, my mum bought a pack of Sugar and a can of milk for me  to take to School. I wasn't allowed to join those cooking as a matter of fact, they were too much. Too many girls on one dough kneading at the same time. It was so bad that the colour of the dough turned from white to brown because of the dirtiness. The moment I saw that, I made up my mind not to eat from it.
   The home Economics Teacher-Mrs. Elizabeth didn't tell us what they were making. We had to figure it out by ourselves. Most of us eventually got tired of standing in the sun so we left. We went to our classes.
   Mrs. Elizabeth announced to us before we entered our class rooms that what ever we were making belongs to the Teachers. That means we contributed but we won't get anything. To my surprise, no one said anything. They just agreed. I was the only one grumbling. During break,I was still in my Class room grumbling to Rebecca when My sit mates ran to the class to get their food flasks.
  "Ah ahn.... What's that? Why are you guys running?" I asked them.
" Ah.. you better come outside and take dough and sauce before it would finish..."
" Huh? "
" De there de do... Huh.. huh.. no come with your food flask ooo.. de there( Stay there and ask huh? Huh? Don't come with your food flask.. be there)" They added in pidgin English and left.
   Out of Curiosity, I followed them but I didn't take my food flask because there was still food in it. When I got there the home Economics lab, I was so shocked to see what these students were doing.
  To my uttermost surprise, they were stealing dough and sauce. These were the students assigned to make the practical a success because they are doing it, the few watching them like my sit mates decided to join them.
  They took so much. Some took more than enough while since took little. I felt too guilty to watch them so I Left. I stood outside the home Economics lab.
  "Cynthia, you too?" I asked in shock as I saw her heading into the Home Economics lab with her own food flask.
"See, I'm not stupid like you, I contributed 2,000 naira fir this practical. I can't go home and tell my mummy rubbish. If you like stay there  don't join o... Since you are the only Christian in this world! " She said quickly as she ran in and ran out with dough and sauce.

**************
  " Now, those of you that contributed, your class captain would call your name if it's in the list and then, you'll cine to the lab and collect your reward. " Mr. Elizabeth announced after a long day of waiting. She wasn't told that the students she assigned to help out with the practical and many more others, looted from the dough and Sauce prepared for the meat-pie.
  My name was among the First ten names to be called. I went to the Home Economics lab full of expectations. I felt so proud of my self for not joining them in stealing.
  "Hnm... Anything she wants to give us let her give, me.. I have settled myself. " I heard Cynthia praise herself for her wrong act behind me and many others in the line hailed her.
   "Winner Obinna Ogechi!" I heard Mrs. Elizabeth call my name out loud.
I went to her table and to my surprise, she handed me a table tennis sized ball doughnut. I was staring at how small it was. It was so small that three of it can fit into my hands. Yet I only got one.
I stepped out of her office with my head down. I suddenly wished I joined Cynthia and the rest in the looting. I threw the doughnut far into the field out of anger.
  It was when Mrs. Elizabeth finished sharing the tiny dough nuts for those who contributed that I found out that a lot of people didn't contribute and many of them that didn't contribute were the ones who looted and looted the most.
*****
   Two weeks later,it was almost time for  our examination, so, we were told to prepare for our basic Science Practical.
We were told that Accessors would be coming to School for our practical and it would be recorded under the BECE.
  When the students heard Accessor they thought they heard Ancestors.
Hence the term"OUR ANCESTORS" are coming!