CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE; The Tarnished Reputation

Growing up, I've always wondered why my father always ended a complaint or discussion about someone with a "Well, you can't please man."
    I found out the hard way. The Mrs. Akinkunmi that I always called wicked because she didn't smile at me or answer my greetings or even comment on my achievements and awards for the School was the only one who still trusted me after Chibuikem's death.
  She was the only one who understood and supported me, even though she did it the hard way, I still understood her love.
  Mrs. Akinkunmi is the way she is because of the kind of Childhood experiences she had.
   One day, on the assembly ground, she was sharing with us how harsh her childhood was she lamented "Now a days... I see you young girls and boys insulting and hitting your parents and I wonder how , come. During my time, I couldn't look at my parents face, oh! Yes! Whenever my father is talking to me, I don't look at him in his face not to talk of his eyes. I keep my head down and listen, when he's gone, the only way I could see his face, was to look at the pictures of him hanging on the wall. So, you better thank God that you don't have pa rent's like mine, especially my father."
From then on, I knew that she is the kind of mother, who would love a child and not say" I love you to that child " She would rather prover her love by doing something else. She is also the kind of mother, who would never apologize to her child, if she is wrong. She would rather  show that she's sorry, by doing something nice for you.
  Mrs. Akinkunmi loves but she expresses it the "hard way"
    I was in my class one morning, peacefully seated on my own. I wasn't discussing with anybody, neither was I in the mood to when Mr. Dele called me out of the class room.
"Winner, some inspectors are here, they are here to award some well behaved and intelligent students. I know your name would be among so, go to. Mrs. Ibitoroko's office. " He said happily.
  I went to the Vice-principal's office has he had commanded me too and lo.. and behold, the inspectors were there, neatly and primly dressed looking like they don't ease themselves. They were three in number. Two men and one  woman. They sat comfortably on Mrs. Ibitoroko's desk while we , the students stood.
  "So, all of you are the nominated well, behaved students, please , I'll like to meet you all, so, kindly introduce your selves." One of the inspectors a plumpy woman on low cut and medicated glasses Started. She sounded so much like one of those middle aged Yoruba actresses. Mrs. Yejide, Mrs. Arinola and Mr. Adesola walked into the office. I felt uncomfortable because I knew something was going to happen. I prayed in my mind that either Mr. Dele shows up or Mrs. Akinkunmi shows up.
  "So, please start." She said as she pointed at Kehinde my class captain who was in front. From the back of her head, I knew she was smiling. Always smiling like one whose heart is pure.To be sincere, everyone in this office  knows that she's only  here because of the connections that she has with teachers.
   Kehinde started, as usual, with her fake accent. They each said their names until it got to my turn, I was the last person to speak.
  "Um.. Good afternoon everyone, I'm Obinna Winner-"
"Obinna? That name sounds familiar. Do you know Obinna Chibuikem the cult-"
"She is the Sister!" Mrs. Yejide and Mrs. Arinola chimed in immediately The female inspector asked.
"What?! So, that Cultists has a Sister in this School?" No one gave an answer to  her question not even her fellow inspectors, who were now looking into their books and scribbling something down.
"Do you know what your brothers action did to your School's reputation? " She asked again in disgust. From her tone, I knew she didn't care about his death, all She cared about was a useless reputation. I mean why would she, Chibuikem isn't her son, her son isn't in a public School, he would most probably be in America or London smoking weed!
  " No, no, no, no, she cannot be here, no matter how intelligent she is. What is a brain without a good behavior? "
" I'm even wondering who called her here, she is not even as intelligent as she used to be, her position in the overall class dropped from first position to fifth position. " My wonderful former class teacher, Mrs. Yejide chimed in.
"You see? So what are you doing here?" The inspector turned to me  and asked again. I didn't answer at first but when she stood up and made a dramatic move towards me, I gave in.
"Ma, he is not my brother, he is my cousin."I answered.
"Is or was? She can't even compose a simple sentence!"Mrs. Arinola added with a devilish chuckle.
" Was. " I corrected my self almost in tears.
"As far as as I'm concerned, a cousin, is a Sister or a Brother. You are both bearing the same surname, You look alike... God, what if she's among, she should have been Expelled since!" The female inspector continued her nonsense talk.
"For what? No now.. because of her Brother's mistake? "One of the male inspectors finally spoke up.
   " Look, Mr. Linus it's people like this that end up being terribly leaders in the future, do you know how much we had to pay to cover up the news, the press came and we had to bribe them. If not, that issue would have been the news in town till this very day! She has to be expelled ! "
  " No, you don't handle issues like that, this girl is a prefect, she's also one of the best in this School, do you know how many awards she has won? Please I'm reading through her profile an  I'm seeing the number of debates and spelling competitions she has won. " The second inspector spoke up.
  " Well, for your information, that's not what the government or the press would see or look at. You all know how it works in this country, If you do as many good as maybe...one hundred and you commit one crime, the one hundred good, would not count for you at all. "
   " Look let's leave this matter for now." Mr. Linus said to calm the woman down.
" Get out! " She shouted at me and I quietly left.
  I saw Mr. Dele heading to the office and quickly entered into the nearest class to avoid him .
When he walked past the class, I quickly came out and walked to my class.
I didn't have to struggle with climbing tables and chairs to get to my sit  now because my sit is now in front and plus, there's a very small and short isle  in between my column and the next.
    I quickly carried my bag and walked  out of the class room.
  I went to the back of the School to cry. I was still crying when I heard  a voice behind me. I thought God was talking to me but this voice didn't like like God's voice to me.  It sounded harsh and husky.
  "Fine girl." The voice called out again,I  looked and it was Koyejo. It downed on me that I haven't seen him since Chibuikem died.
  "Winner, what's up na?" He smiled at me sheepishly. I ignored him and continued crying.
"Sorry for .. so.. sorry for your loss." He spoke in English and I could tell from his tone how Awkward he felt doing so.
   "My loss? Koyejo? Are you stupid?" I asked him angrily.
"See, no vex. I ... What happened why are you crying?" He asked and I ignored him at first but he kept persisting .
  Finally I explained everything to him and he just smiled and said"Well, those teachers no like, Chibuikem, so, how dem go like you? "
" Huh? "
" Yes na.. you no .. let me speak it in English so, you will understand. It was your .. em.. Chibuikem that wrote a letter to the School to transfer Mr. Arinola, so, that's why they bring her down to your junior School. "
" Yes, that true, she used to be in the Senior School before but , I don't know, she came here and she can't even teach well any time, I correct her she gets upset -"." Ah! Don't correct her o! She would hold you in her mind and reduce your mark. "
" Wow! Is she that bad? "
" Yes now, so it's because of that thing she hate Chibuikem.. ah! Aburo mi( my friend) ! My one and only friend and sit mate, I warn am oo .. he didn't listen . He used his hand to spoil his life. "
  He lamented bitterly over Chibuikem's death. I didn't know when the tears started rolling down my cheeks again. I cried because I knew , I knew everything that happened. It wasn't even Owodé who  killed Chibuikem's! He was killed in the fight between the Osa community and the Gadé Community . They were fighting for property as usual and my cousin, on that fateful day, was outside the School gate fighting his own small and senseless fight too. Because he was spotted with Owodé , even though they were fighting, they opposing Gadé Community cult guys taught Chibuikem was fighting for the Osa community -Owodé and his father.
  They attacked and killed him!
  According to my Dad, Owodé's father, visited my Uncle Emeka and he also paid the hospital bills but Chibuikem didn't make it.
   When I look at Owodé, all I see is the Futility of war. The Futility and absurdity of fighting. A wise man once said, "We talk to end wars" and so it was for Owodé's Father and Chibuikem's Father.
The former lost his money while the latter, lost a son. A son so dear to him and the community.
  Now, Owodé doesn't even have interest in ASAKE any more! What a life!!