CHAPTER TWENTY -THREE; MY TABLE IS MISSING!

" Good morning Students, So sorry for the delay of the pasting of the names of the repeaters among you. So, it's outside the class now, nobody should remove it. Look for your name now and if you see it... just pack your bag ,your table and chair and leave this class. Go back to your JSS 1 class . it's not a crime to repeat a class. "

  Mrs. Yejide our class teacher addressed us a few minutes ago before the class turned completely upside down.

  When Mrs. Yejide left the classroom, more than half of the students in the class followed her to check the repeaters list on the board outside.

  I sat still , feeling heartbroken for those who would repeat. She said it's not bad to repeat yet, from what I've seen heard and experienced so far, I don't think so.

From where I sat, I could hear  wailings and sad cries from outside some were lamenting "Ah ahn... how can I repeat? no.. it's not possible. oh God why?!"

  I just sat down and watched as the repeaters walked into the class room defeatedly, picked their School bags, their tables and chairs and walked out of the classroom unhappily.

   When the repeaters left, the class became as silent as a yard. It was as if we were missing something. "Wow! this is good, now fresh air can enter, see how free the class is. " Jeremiah Said. His sit was now close to mine because of the population reduction in the class room.

" That's not fair they are human beings -"

" Yes we know they are human beings, go and marry them now. "Matthew said.

" Look, it's not fair that -"

" Hey, why are you angry at us? were we the ones that repeated them? please face your book. " Ayomide retorted angrily.

  I quickly backed off knowing that I was the only girl among them.

  Finally, Mrs. Yejide walked into the classroom smiling.

" Eh ehn .. this is good . I now know my students. I can now come to the Class  regularly and teach. Other teachers can come too because the class is not as congested as it was before. " She collected the register from the Class captain Kehinde who was still elected as the class captain this session. She opened it and announced proudly" So, you were 208 in JSS 1 now, you are 132. This is not good enough but it's manageable. "

What she just say? Her callousness prompted me to ask Jeremiah whose sit is at my left side if Mrs. Yejide has a daughter or a son and his response surprised me. " Yes, of course she does. She is even a grandmother. "

" Hnmm.. no wonder she looks quite old. " I said out loud. I think she heard me because, the next thing I heard from her was" Hey those fools talking there , stand up! " We both stood up immediately at her command. " Why are you two Misbehaving? Obinna! is that how you behave in your house? when your mother and father are talking to you, you just ignore them like they don't exist. Is that a good behavior? " She directed all her attention to me now.

"No ma." I innocently responded to her question and I was surprised to hear shocking gasps from the Students in the classroom.

"What? are you  stupid?" Mrs. Yejide shouted furiously. And again I innocently responded" No ma. "

" Oh my God! " She exclaimed as she touched her head and if she was about to faint.

" Obinna, get out of my class now! go to the library and kneel down there until I return. "

" okay ma. " I said as I quietly walked out of the Class room to the Library to face my punishment faithfully.

  The moment I entered the Library, I went to Mrs. Yejide's table and knelt down there. Mr. Adesola was surprised to see me kneeling down so he asked "Ah?! Winner... is everything okay?"