CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE; PEACE OF MIND

On the 9th of November, 2020. That was when I cut my lock down hair. I can remember that night like it was yesterday. I can remember how my mother tried really hard to cheer me up that night as we headed to the barbing saloon.
  The cars racing in the express road of Lagos. The sandy Pedestrian road all added to my pains that night.
  From my mind, I could hear Adekunle gold singing softly:

  " The grass is greener at the other side, that's what I thought when I took the ride......
If I has known.. that the life I was searching for... Was looking me right in the eye oh oh oh.... If I had know.. that the life I was searching for... Was already my own ... Ire.. ire.. ire... "

It sounded so real to me at that point and shut my eyes and listened to the song from my soul while feeling the cool night breeze on my face as I let the tears fall freely from my eyes.
   When we got to the Saloon, I didn't cry at all. I closed my eyes as I heard and felt the humming from the clipper. I opened my eyes and saw in the Saloon mirror , a sad looking mum. My mum looked at me sadly. I ignored her gaze so I wouldn't cry again. I knew she was just putting up those nasty habits to appear strong in front of me whereas she is actually very sad.
  This is very Diabolic. Naturally, not every parent is happy with putting their children in public Schools because, it prices to them, that they don't have enough money to enroll their children in better Schools. It is even more painful and devilish to demand for the hair of the female students. No normal parent can bear that kind of pain.
I felt so much peace within me when I stood up from the customers seat bald.
I just couldn't explain why I felt that way. I just felt so peaceful and calm. For the first time in months, I smiled willingly!

  I resumed On the 11th of November and as mu father had said, everything Mr. Babalola and Mrs. Fadake said was empty threats. They didn't do a thing to me! I resumed and went straight to my class. I sat beside Joash who being a good and caring friend kept an empty sit beside him for me. This sir was beautifully in front.
  Everyone wanted to interview me at the same time but Joash sent them all away. He was the only one who asked why I reported myself and blamed me for it.
I told him there was nothing I could do that the gate was locked. He looked at me as if I was mad and then asked "Why didn't you follow the primary School gate?"
"Huh? There is a primary School gate?"
"Hnmm... Omo you mumu oo... So you don't know that there is a primary School gate at the back."
"No. Please you have to show me when School closes."
"Okay."
   I was updating my note when Mrs. Bolanle came in with her face masks on and looked at me strangely.
"Good morning ma. I greeted her with a smile."
"I've seen you before... Oh! Oh! You are the one I asked to cut your hair last two weeks rights? "
" Yes ma. "
" Okay you have cut it.. ha ha ha.. " she laughed childishly and said " you look like a monkey. " I knew she was joking but I didn't laugh because to me, it sounded Really expensive.

   During closing Joash took me to the primary School gate and I felt like slapping myself. I stared at the gate for almost five minutes before walking away with him. I was indeed naiive.