CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX; GROWTH

"You are now in JSS 3! You are no longer babies, very soon, next year, you'll be writing your examination which is called Junior WAEC (west African Examination Council) or BECE (Basic Education Certificate Examination)." Mrs. Shola, our JSS 3 Class teacher started with her usual morning speech again. She wouldn't teach when she's supposed, instead, she'll rather talk and flog. She is also our English language teacher who pronounces 'Determine ' as 'Deter-mine'.
   She made a lot of changes when she was assigned as our class teacher, first, she removed Kehinde from the position of the class captain. She said that it's not good for only one person to lead a class for three consecutive times "it is not a monarchy system!" She stated.
   When we asked if we could vote for a new class captain because we were relieved to have a change of leader, to be honest, it seems like I wasn't the only one tired of Kehinde. She was also tired of being our class captain.
    "Okay, for now, you won't have a class captain, because, we need to arrange you guys, according to your numbers in the register. Alphabetically. The first letter of your Surname would determine the class you'll be in. We'll be dividing you guys into three classes." She told us one morning when we requested for a class captain because we were in a state of anarchy in our class, every body did what they wanted to; we swept when we wanted to, ate when we wanted to and even went out of the class whenever we felt like. There was so much freedom.
    We were finally arranged and assigned to a class according to our numbers in the Class overall register. My number was 178. I was excited because, I ended up in my actual class,in my actual sit, we were asked to write our numbers on our tables we did and I now have two new sit mates; Jennifer and Bukola.
   I was so happy and relaxed to have normal sit mates and most importantly, they were girls and not just girls , they were quiet girls, well, at least they looked quiet.
    "So, as you can see, we are now very organized . Your new class captain is Florence Uche. " She announced casually and everybody clapped for Florence.
It was when Mrs. Shola assigned Florence as the new Class captain; the Florence that I watched manipulate her results and that of others, I knew that the bad government in Nigeria is not the cause if God punishing us. It is the result of man's inhumanity to man and the Greed of man.
   Florence of all people? The class captain? Really?
  My eyes are now opened to the cruelty and  injustice in the world. It's very painful that I can't change it. It's very absurd to see Adults being Lazy and wicked but I was taught to get used to it as I would become an adult one day.
   "Learn to hold your tears and keep your pains inside!" I was told whenever I cried. I didn't tell my mother about my tarnished reputation in School and the countless insults and betrayal from Teachers -Adults  that I once trusted.
  I've been so hurt that even ten strokes of cane wouldn't make me flinch not to talk of being moved to tears.
    This I was told is a sign of "GROWTH"