32 |𝐉𝐚𝐢𝐩𝐮𝐫

• R I V A A N •

• R I V A A N •

It was the crack of dawn, around 5 am, when the police finally let us go. We had to sit there for four whole hours, just to explain why we were running around like a couple of wild banshees! The thing is, we didn't even know why we were dashing through the streets like that. After the cops made super sure we weren't causing any mischief by checking our documents up, down, and sideways, they said "sorry" and drove us right to our lovey-dovey honeymoon villa.

Day one of the honeymoon was successfully spoiled! Thanks to my wife.

Once inside the villa, all I wanted to do was sleep. But like most wives, mine couldn't let me be happy. She dragged me to the national park to see animals, which I had no interest in.

Why would I look at orangutans when I have my own personal monkey - my wife to entertain me ?

" Take a picture of me with him!" as she handed me the camera looking at the monkey I couldn't help but laugh out loud and tease.

"Why are you so amused by that monkey? You two literally look like twins!"

Well, that got her nostrils flaring! She glared daggers at me, stamped her little feet, and made two angry fists by her sides as she cursed under her breath. Then she stormed off ahead, steam practically billowing from her ears.

"Meher,wait for me" I called after her retreating figure.

" Marjao. Mere naam bhi mat lo kutta kaminey" I heard her yelling as all the tourists gawked at us like we were part of the wildlife exhibit.

Giving them all a sheepish grin, I yelled, "Love you too, babe! Wait for me!" As if the adorably grumpy little thing could ever stay mad at this handsome man like me.

We walked on the path, in tune with the pretty sounds of the forest. I tried to hold her hand. But she pulled her hand away and turned to me with a hard look.

"Aacha baba sorry na " I said softly, like a whisper in the breeze. She puffed out her cheeks, her cute little nose wrinkling up.

"You called me a monkey? Me? A monkey?" Her red cheeks looked like the feathers of a pink bird taking flight. She looked so sweet, like a tiny Rudolph with her glowing red nose.

"Well, didn't we all come from primates in the end?" I said with a sly smile, hoping my clever words might calm her down. But instead, she firmly stamped on my foot.

"You're the monkey, not me!" She pointed a finger at my chest, her eyes fiery. Chuckling, I nodded to say I gave up.

For the rest of our walk, I followed behind her like a buzzing bumblebee, carefully carrying her purse, her hat and her sunglasses. We took in the green beauty around us - the tall trees with whispering leaves, the many colored animals flitting about. Whenever we saw a creature, I raised my camera to capture the memory forever.