1.24 - Ranran needs to learn to grow up on his own

"Ranran, daddy is leaving. No matter what happens in the future, you must take good care of yourself. Be good and don't cry. Daddy can't grow up with you or protect you anymore. Ranran has to learn to grow up on his own."

  That day, his father held Shen Ran in his arms. He touched Shen Ran's head and took out a slightly melted candy from his pocket. He touched Shen Ran's face with his rough hands, which felt a little stinging. Shen Ran took the candy and looked at the tears on the back of his hand blankly. The little boy didn't understand why his father was crying and why his father couldn't be with him anymore.

  ——Until he saw the blood on the ground and his father being taken away by the police.

  ——Intentional homicide, death penalty.

  The mother, who had been gambling outside, hurried home to pack her things. She hesitated before leaving the house, placed the thin gold necklace around her neck in Shen Ran's palm, then turned around and got into a white car, leaving Shen Ran behind.

  Shen Ran threw the necklace under the tree in front of the door and covered it with soil. No one would ever find it again.

  From that day on, it was the beginning of a nightmare and the beginning of despair.

  *

  Shen Ran woke up from a nightmare. He groaned softly. The sudden pain in his waist was unbearable. His whole body was shaking slightly. His teeth were trembling slightly, but he shouted softly in his throat, "Dad...Mom...wait for me..."

  He hadn't called his parents for more than ten years. Tears unconsciously slid from the corners of his eyes onto the pillow and disappeared.

  He lay on his back on the bed, breathing softly, and it took him a while to wake up. Occasionally, there were sounds of people walking outside. Shen Ran turned his head to take a look, then retracted his gaze. He raised his hand, which was tightly wrapped in gauze. He stretched out his palm with force and could feel that the wound that was about to heal had broken again. Blood seeped out along the gauze. His palm was wet and sticky. He leaned in to smell it, and it was a bloody smell and a strong medicinal smell.

  Shen Ran propped himself up on the bed, sat on the edge of the bed, tilted his head slightly, and bit open the bandage wrapped around his palm...

  Bai Ze had been leaning on a chair outside the hospital. He was drowsy at first, but after seeing Shen Ran's Weibo post, he suddenly woke up and kept trying to find a way to save everything. But just as he dialed Director Li Sheng's number, the hospital's emergency bell rang. Bai Ze turned his head abruptly and saw the nurse on duty rushing out of Shen Ran's ward in a hurry, shouting, "The patient has an emergency..."

  Bai Ze's face suddenly changed. He rushed into Shen Ran's ward before he could react. Shen Ran was sitting on the ground with his head slightly lowered, as if he was asleep. His palms were covered in blood, and his hospital gown at his waist and abdomen was also soaked with blood. The blood-stained bandages were scattered aside, and there was blood at the corners of his mouth.

  At that moment, Bai Ze's heart almost stopped suddenly, and a chill surged into his heart. He almost knelt down and held Shen Ran in his arms. With slightly trembling hands, he pressed hard on Shen Ran's wound to prevent the blood from flowing out. The person in his arms was breathing so shallowly that it was almost inaudible. He didn't know when Shen Ran had become so thin, but Bai Ze had never noticed it.

  "Make way..." In a trance, Bai Ze felt someone pulling him. He gritted his teeth and said, "Save him, save him."

  "I know, please move aside, we can't save the patient like this," said the doctor.