8.7 - Shen Ran asked gently, 'What's wrong?'

The old emperor did not teach Shen Ran a lesson for long. After walking around Shen Ran a few times, he sat back in his chair. Shen Ran then looked up and saw a box placed next to the table. There was a small bottle in the box. He saw the old emperor pour out a pill from the bottle and swallowed it, then collapsed in the chair.

  "Father?" When Shen Ran saw this thing, his heart skipped a beat. He called out carefully, "Father, what's wrong with you?"

  "Your Highness, the Emperor has taken a tranquilizing pill and needs to rest. Please go back." The chief eunuch came over and helped Shen Ran up. "Your Highness, the Emperor has been feeling unwell and in a bad mood these days. You..."

  "I know, thank you, eunuch." Shen Ran said.

  He walked out of the imperial study and opened the door. A gust of cold wind blew in from outside, which made him shudder subconsciously. But he also woke up a lot from his previous daze. He immediately noticed that there was a strange smell in the imperial study... If he guessed correctly, it should be caused by the pills in the small bottle.

  [Shen Ran: I have heard that the imperial court has some alchemists, and I have read in history books that some kings were very superstitious about alchemy when they were old. Now I have seen a real example.]

  999 did not deny Shen Ran's words.

  Shen Ran was wearing a cloak. He adjusted the cloak and wrapped himself in it. Today's trip was in vain. Looking at the old emperor's appearance, he was afraid that he was out of his mind. Alchemy is like opium. Once you get addicted to it, it is difficult to escape. Even the wisest monarch will fall into it. What's more, the old emperor is not really wise. He is just a fool at best.

  He was walking alone beside the palace wall. The pain in his chest was almost numb. He covered the wound with his hand and could feel wetness. He lowered his eyes and saw a spot of scarlet on his fingertips.

  "Your Highness."

  A familiar voice sounded behind him. Shen Ran paused, turned around, and saw the old eunuch who had been serving him before.

  "Defu pays respects to His Royal Highness the Crown Prince." The old eunuch hunched over and paid respects to Shen Ran. "I heard that His Royal Highness had entered the palace, so I came to pay my respects to His Royal Highness. Please forgive me!"

  Shen Ran stood there. He barely straightened up, his face pale, but every word he spoke was very clear, "Eunuch Defu was joking. What crime has he committed?"

  "When the emperor was still a prince, this old servant received the emperor's favor, so later on, I followed the emperor's order and served your highness." The old eunuch knelt in the snow, and he said in a trembling voice, "I have kept all this from your highness, and I deserve to die. Please punish me, your highness."

  "..." Shen Ran laughed, "My father cares about me, so he arranged for Eunuch Defu to take care of me, which fulfilled the father-son relationship. I am grateful for this, so how could I blame him? Please stand up, Eunuch."

  Shen Ran was about to leave by the old eunuch's side. The old eunuch knelt on the ground and said, "Your Highness, I know I don't have the face to stay with you any longer, but I still have to remind you that the Emperor has been wary of the Regent for a long time. Your Highness has finally secured the position of Crown Prince and cannot take any more risks. Moreover, the Regent's life and death are uncertain now. Your Highness should draw a line with him. This is the only way to protect yourself!"

  Shen Ran didn't answer him and left.

  *

  "Your Highness, I heard from the palace that the old emperor has summoned the crown prince to the palace." Xiao Huan leaned on the couch, playing with the jade ornaments. A man in black knelt on the ground and said, "But..."