60. Labor

Ch 61-64 available on ScrollStack!

In the last seven months, that is after my mother's arrival, both of us used to discuss the pregnancy phase after Ragini drifted off to sleep.

Ma informed me about the teachings of Charak Samhita - an authentic ayurvedic text that talks about the mechanism of a human body, that state that an unborn baby expresses its desires through the mother, which means her cravings should not be ignored. Also sometimes the mother could behave like a baby, but my Jaana always tried to stay calm in all the situations until one night when she shrieked at me to fetch the chocolates at the night itself.

It was undoubtedly a difficult task, but I somehow found the chocolates she wanted. She cried badly for yelling at me, but I know what she is going through these days.

Ma told me about the spiritual significance of pregnancy - how intimately a mother and child are related - the connection of placenta and umbilical cord, how women are no less than God for imparting her own nutritions to the baby selflessly. The filial love she was talking about urged me to respect and love her more. I could never understand how closely I was related to my mother. I was sleeping on her lap quite often these days, but this place was reserved for my Jaana these days.

This was my wife's pregnancy, but luckily I was learning more about it, being in the physical realm or the spiritual one. Definitely, both of us were pregnant, not only her. The doctors had tested the baby for any genetic disorder, and that is when we got to know that it was a babygirl.

I felt like the happiest and luckiest person on Earth that day, but there was someone happier than me, and he was none other than Balraj bhaiya. As expected, Pappa wasn't given this information, and he didn't even care.

In the past few weeks, my Jaana was suffering a lot. Her baby bump was growing and carrying this weight was becoming difficult for her. Basic works like peeing and defecating were becoming arduous for her. I wish I could take all her worries on me.

One day she demanded to eat halwa, and ma prepared it wholeheartedly, but nauseated the moment she took a bite of it. Such mood swings were common for her now.

My little munchkin is quite naughty I guess! She demands something and then she rejects it.

Ma used to sleep with her at night, and I preferred sleeping in another room, all alone because I knew ma could take good care of her if she needed it at night. Though ma never hesitated to call me if it was urgent, she still slept by her side.

The doctor had given us a date, but she had advised us that the baby could come out anytime now.

It was one such night. The clock showed 1 AM but sleep was nowhere around me. I was pondering upon the problems that my Jaana had been facing for the last two months.

'knock knock'

"Dhanraj, the water broke!"

Ma yelped from that side. I instantly threw away the comforters and ran to open the door. She looked worried, and I could hear faded screams of my Jaana. Both of us rushed to her room, I barged into it.