🍭23. His crazy captain

chmpgne_adv your request! 🫶

Context: The crowd talks Shubman with their chants... (But it's Ishman)

I know the next worldcup isn't in India, but this is just an AU.

....

*Third person's POV*

"SHUBMAN SHUBMAN SHUBMAN!"

The chants started as the Indian skipper for ODI World cup 2027 stepped onto the ground to open for India.

Yes, Shubman Gill, the one and only, was captaining the new Indian team for today's match, 2027 world cup finals.
India vs Australia 2.0

Everyone's voice was echoing in the Narendra Modi stadium in Ahemdabad. There was a ripple of Nostalgia. Just instead of 'Virat Virat' the crowd spoke 'Shubman Shubman'. Instead of 'Rohit Rohit' the crowd spoke 'Kishan Kishan".
It was all the same but it was so different.

The chants rose like everyone's nostalgic heartbeats. India lost the toss yet again.

"Shubman, breathe" Ishan put both his hands on Shubman's shoulder before they had stepped into the ground.

Shubman exhaled closes his eyes, then opened them again, holding Ishan's gaze.
"Ishu... It's- it's the finals again.... Y-you remember what happened the last time"
"I know Shubman, I was there. You did your best there at that time... And I'm here today too, and this time, you've outdone yourself. I've seen it with my eyes, Shubman, all these thousands of people have... They have their faith in you. My Captain... I've been here, they've been here. I am here, they are here. To support you. You can do this, Shubman, you always have your best friend beside you" he nudged Shubman's shoulder with his own playfully.

They both knew that the term 'Bestfriends' was understating them a little, but there wasn't another word they could add that matched what they had.

"Thanks, Ishu"
"Always, Gill.. you've a match to open, Mister. Let's do this together"
"Once again"
"Once again"

They fist bumped, put their helmets on and antered the feild swinging their bats.
Shubman jogged ahead of Ishan, nudging him purposely.
"First to get a century gets a treat"
"Deal!" Ishan screamed back and they took their positions.

Ishan was on the striking end first today. Shubman opened as a non-striker.

First ball of the game, the umpire signals them to play.
Ishan breathes in and the ball is released. One bounce, it comes flying towards him and then.... SIX!

The whole Indian crowd has gone crazy.
"KISHAN KISHAN KISHAN!"

The umpire signalled a six and both the openers first bumped.
"Lagta hai treat to meri hi hai"

Shubman chuckled. The over had 4 other dot balls and the last ball was again a boundary.

It was time, Shubman was now on strike. Looking at the Indian captain's strike, the crowd was howling like crazy. Shubman breathed in and out but it was definitely getting difficult to handle the pressure.

"Oye, teri T-shirt hatake paseena chaatunga agar tune ye century maardi to"
Ishan tried to cheer him up.
Shubman blushed and nodded, adjusting himself, getting ready to bat.

On the other end, he could see Ishan. His constant support. His best friend. His secret little crush. How could he not get this century. It was an 'ek teer se do nishane' moment for Shubman. They would get the cup and he would get to fulfill his dream from years ago.

The bowler bowled, and Shubman shifted his focus on the ball. Step one, two, and HIT!
It too went flying for a six.

Shubman Gill's signature straight six. The crowd was again screaming and showing off their banners and jumping. It somehow relieved him. Those people really had their faith in him. He can do this.